Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to prosper; to flourish; to succeed
thrive
formulate
mention
increase
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
'deli section' vs 'produce section' | single vs. lonely
listening exercises
Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 21, 2005 15:09 pm   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

Test No. errors/advan-1 "Give me the bill", question 2

Most banks do not mind to lend money to young entrepreneurs.

(a) Most
(b) do
(c) to lend
(d) to

Test No. errors/advan-1 "Give me the bill", answer 2

Most banks do not mind lending money to young entrepreneurs.

Correct entry: lending
The error was: (c) to lend

most of the banks?

Metana
Metana

Question? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 21, 2005 15:22 pm   Question?

You have added at the end most of the banks, what is your question?
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Question? #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:38 am   Question?

Alan wrote:
You have added at the end most of the banks, what is your question?
why we use lending instead of to lend?

Mind + gerund #4 (permalink) Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:39 am   Mind + gerund

The verb mind is followed by a gerund (lending). Other examples:

Would you mind opening the door?
I don't mind working long hours every day.

TOEIC listening, photographs: In a store
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Most banks do not mind lending money #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:01 am   Most banks do not mind lending money

i am wondering if it is not about the gerund, is it right to use "most banks do not mind to lend money to young entrepeneur"?

thanks.
Nerd
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:24 am   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

Hi Nerd,

The verb mind is followed by a gerund, that's why "most banks do not mind to lend money" is wrong.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Are you sure you won't have an appetizer?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #7 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:44 am   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

Hi,

what if i were to change the sentence to something like, "i don't like to lend people money" vs "i don't like lending people money". Are both of these sentences correct?

also, what if i changed "mind" to something else

I do not care lending money to friends
I do not care seeing you this weekend

is it a rule that when a verb is used such as "mind" and "care" a gerund verb form must follow after that and never the "to + verb" form?
Ched133
I'm here quite often ;-)

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #8 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:49 am   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

Some verbs require a gerund and some verbs are followed by the infinitive. There are also verbs that can be followed by both a gerund or an infinitive.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you prefer an aisle seat or a window seat?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #9 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 am   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

can you give me an example of each
Ched133
I'm here quite often ;-)

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #10 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:42 am   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

Torsten wrote:
Hi Nerd,

The verb mind is followed by a gerund, that's why "most banks do not mind to lend money" is wrong.

so, i can only use "mind" followed by gerund not both.

is there anyway i can find the list of verbs what can be used and cant be used or even both with infinitive and gerund?

Thanks
Nerd

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #11 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 13:51 pm   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

I'm sure that such a list exists somewhere but it I'm afraid it won't be very useful because it's impossible to learn how to use those verbs correctly by looking at that list. Instead, you should take it one verb at a time. Yes, 'mind' always requires a gerund.

One of the many verbs that can be followed by a gerund or an infinitive is 'stop'. Please take a look at these sentences and tell me if you understand the difference in meaning:

He stopped talking.
He stopped to talk.

I take it you have read Alan's story on gerunds and infinitives?

For more information on the subject please read these threads:
gerund vs. infinitive (demand)
try + infinitive vs. try + gerund
like + infinitive vs. like + gerund

TOEIC listening, question-response: You still have my business card, don't you?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #12 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 14:10 pm   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

i saw the link about gerund and invinitive. and i heard it a while back from my teacher. but still want to make sure whether gerund is "we do it over and over. such as habit or so" and invinitive is when you are about saying or doing it.?

thanks.
Nerd

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #13 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 17:16 pm   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

Hi,

If you want definitive lists of verbs followed only by gerund/infinitive or either gerund or infinitive, I can recommend this excellent book:
Oxford University Press: A Practical English Grammar. A.J. Thompson and A.V. Martinet, Intermediate

The verbs that can take either often indicate a different meaning as for example: try to do (make an effort) try doing (experiment). When the meaning is basically the same, the very general difference is that the gerund is more general and the infinitive is more specific. But that is only a very rough description. Check out the book to see the detail.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #14 (permalink) Wed Mar 05, 2008 19:52 pm   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

thanks Allan, i appreciate it.
Nerd

Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money #15 (permalink) Mon Mar 16, 2009 18:41 pm   Phrase: Most banks do not mind lending money

"Most banks" is the same as " most of the banks"?
San_Chay

'deli section' vs 'produce section' | single vs. lonely
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Expression "share the bill"Expression "he eats like a horse"What does mocha mean?Meaning of binding as related to English grammarExpression "talk or chat"Meaning of SEOWhat is the meaning of "sci-fi"?What is the meaning of chives?Making mistakes when writing?literally vs accuratelyWhat does 'a good point' mean?error vs misunderstanding vs fault vs slip'any tea' vs 'some tea'