problem; misfortune; annoyance; cause of worry
trouble
autograph
reference
mull

Difference between turn and turning

Meaning of granting | Meaning of "You never did"
Difference between turn and turning #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 21, 2005 21:08 pm   Difference between turn and turning

Test No. incompl/inter-85 "Simple Present (2)", question 6

If you take the first left after the post office, you come to Sally's place and if you take the second ......... to the right after that you come to the cottage where Andrew lives.

(a) turn
(b) turn up
(c) turn in
(d) turning

Test No. incompl/inter-85 "Simple Present (2)", answer 6

If you take the first left after the post office, you come to Sally's place and if you take the second turning to the right after that you come to the cottage where Andrew lives.

Correct answer: (d) turning
_________________________

Why "turning" not "turn"?
Tnx.
Lyudmila

Turn/ing #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:33 am   Turn/ing

Turn is either verb or noun. As a noun it really means twist in the sort of instruction about a handle: You then make two turns to the right and then one to the left. Turning is the word for a much larger movement where you leave the main road and go to the left or right.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between turn and turning #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:56 am   Difference between turn and turning

Dear Alan

I am still not clear with the usage of 'turning' in this sentence. :?

tanvi
Tanvi Mehta

Location: Shimla, India

Difference between turn and turning #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 21:28 pm   Difference between turn and turning

Donīt worry about it. Me neither :(
Tarot

Difference between turn and turning #5 (permalink) Mon Dec 27, 2010 23:24 pm   Difference between turn and turning

A 'turning' (as a noun) is the name for a bend in the road or a point where two roads meet.
_________________

Difference between turn and turning #6 (permalink) Mon Jan 31, 2011 16:01 pm   Difference between turn and turning

Please give me more example for turn and turning to understand proper usage.
Thanx
Shaliniveer

Difference between turn and turning #7 (permalink) Wed Aug 29, 2012 15:02 pm   Difference between turn and turning

what is the difference between take the second turning TO the right
and take the second turning ON the right
Ygk26

Location: Japan

Difference between turn and turning #8 (permalink) Wed Aug 29, 2012 15:20 pm   Difference between turn and turning

No difference.
_________________

Meaning of 'most out of'?Why use "all of the flowers" instead of "all the flowers"?testing times vs. testable times"bear with" versus "stay with"Expression: Would you mind if"work out" vs. "find out"Why won and not ended?Meaning of "I almost drowned"Want to find out who drove the red carDifference between finished and endedWhat does this phrasal verb mean: "Make it up"?Beginning of the end?Is this a set phrase: "best of all"?