marmalade; jam
conserve
representative
owner
grain

Without a stain on his character

Difference between practise and practice | Difference between persist and insist
Without a stain on his character #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:53 am   Without a stain on his character

Test No. incompl/advan-44 "Scandal", question 1

Mathew Smith was a highly respected member of parliament with no ......... on his character.

(a) sign
(b) indication
(c) stain
(d) point

Test No. incompl/advan-44 "Scandal", answer 1

Mathew Smith was a highly respected member of parliament with no stain on his character.

Correct answer: (c) stain
_________________________

what does stain mean?
edwin

Stain #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:15 am   Stain

Stain is a mark in a literal sense. For example if you drop a glass of wine on a carpet, what you see after it has dried is a mark or stain. In a figurative sense as in without a stain on his character it means without anything bad about his character.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of ascertainMeaning of "Day in day out"Difference between offensive and offendingAs-needed or as-requiredDifference between recur and repeatWhat does this idiom mean: to go to pieces?Difference between 'see about a plan' and 'see into a plan'Straight versus easyNothing of noteQuestion tagsWhat does the phrase 'in the open air' mean?Difference between records and recordingsDifference between determine and decide