bid; offer; overseer; supervisor
dial
tender
interpreter
proliferation

What is Your Callan Method?

Hello, has anybody of you ever heard about the term "Russisch Brot"? | Euthanasia
What is Your Callan Method? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

I've worked at a couple of different Callan schools and to tell you the truth(imho) I think the method is great up until about the 4th or 5th stage and then I think more needs to be incorporated, grammar lessons, conversation activities and the like.

Anyways...my question is...

What is your plan of attack?

Go Back 20

First 50 min

10 revision
1 read
1 dictation
10 revision

Second 50 min

Last 10 from first hour revised again
1 read
1 dictation
8-10 new

or

Go back 30

First 50 min

10 revision
1 read
1 dictation
10 revision

First 50 min

10 revision
1 read
1 dictation
8-10 new

Also, is there a chart somewhere that has the specifics, such as what you should be reading and which dictation you should be doing based on what paragraphs you're revising?

I'm sure I've seem one in one of the schools I've worked in but the school I'm in now can't seem to locate this chart.
Pocketchalker

What is Your Callan Method? #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:48 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi Doug,

How did you get started with Callan Method? I know that's very popular in Poland while almost nobody is interested in teaching Callan style ihere in Germany or any other country for that matter. What do you think is the reason for that?

Many thanks,

TOEIC listening, question-response: Who's Jean Carrier's supervisor?

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What is Your Callan Method? #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 26, 2008 13:02 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Thorsten,

Actually Callan was what got me into teaching. I'm a salesman by trade from the US and when I came here and decided to stay and teach I needed a way to 'break into' it and learn 'how' to teach.

I did some reading up on it and being also someone who studies the brain and how it works thought it to be a pretty straight forward method.

Since then I've found and discovered that society as a whole has changed and thus it doesn't work as well 'right out of the box'. It needs some help, if you will. The method being designed 50+ years ago worked well... in my opinion. But, with all the junk in today's world that people have to focus on in everyday life there 'brains' aren't what they used to be... relaxed. So, they don't absorb the information as well.

I've taught for 5years now many different ways and learned quite a bit. To be honest, in high school English was my worst subject. My English teacher is rolling in her grave. lol.

Callan is good up until about the 5th stage. It's a great way to start learning basic vocab and building confidence in speaking, but after the 5th or maybe 6th stage I think people should switch over to a book method and learn some grammar and sentence structure.

You mentioned using it in German. The school I'm at now uses both English and German Callan and it appears to work well. They've added grammar exercises and sentence building worksheets into the mix and do switch people over at stage 5 or 6, depending on what the student wants. It must be working because they have something like 17+ schools throughout Poland and are opening more all the time. Leaderschool.
Pocketchalker

What is Your Callan Method? #4 (permalink) Tue Oct 28, 2008 22:37 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi Doug,

Thanks a lot for sharing your Callan teaching experiences with me. It's interesting that you say people today have more difficulty absorbing information than they used to decades before. Why do you think is this? I mean with all the tools available today shouldn't it be easier for us to learn and share our ideas?

As for Callan, the system certainly contains some sound suggestions but I don't think it will ever get widespread in any country other than Poland. Actually, I doubt it's 'widespread' in Poland. There might be a few schools using the method while the vast majority either don't know anything about it or won't adapt for several reasons.

By the way, where in Poland do you live?
Talk to you soon,

TOEIC listening, question-response: How many years have you been with the firm?

What is Your Callan Method? #5 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 21:31 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

I have been teaching English to non-native speakers, on and off, since 1975. 2 years ago I came across the Callan method, took the course in London and soon started teaching FREE at home to get some experience. after a month I began charging. I now have a thriving, successful school, and 2000 hours of experience. IMHO one cannot mix Callan and other methods. There are massive advantages in speed of learning, usefulness of the language and retention. I do believe that after book 4 (stage 8) there are few advantages in the Callan method and perhaps other methods are just as effective. There are over 200 Callan schools in Poland and it is regarded almost as a brand-name in English schools. There are very good reasons for the effectivity of the method which lie in 'Learning / Memory / Forgetting / Neuro Linguistics / Psychology' etc. To begin judging the system, without really investigating it, seems pointless. The school in London never advertises and yet there are thousands of students there every week..must be something in the water.
Inteach

Location: Milton Keynes

What is Your Callan Method? #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 29, 2008 0:07 am   What is Your Callan Method?

Pros and cons of the Callan Method.

TOEIC short conversations: Fax problems

What is Your Callan Method? #7 (permalink) Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:31 am   What is Your Callan Method?

So many ways to respond to your audio...I agree with some of the things you said although it takes me back to the basics of what people are wanting to learn...communication. You are correct, there are so many things available today that it can almost be too overwhelming and give people 'too big' of choice... Our goal is to communicate, not to learn how many ways we can learn a language. Then again, with technology, "the way" we learn is changing....

I'll try to respond with an audio in the next couple of days...

Cheers
Doug
Pocketchalker

What is Your Callan Method? #8 (permalink) Wed Dec 03, 2008 15:48 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

The advantages of the Callan Method.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a history class

What is Your Callan Method? #9 (permalink) Wed Dec 03, 2008 16:05 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Just listened to your message and would love to respond with that audio...although I can't seem to figure out how...
Pocketchalker

What is Your Callan Method? #10 (permalink) Wed Dec 03, 2008 16:05 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Pocketchalker

What is Your Callan Method? #11 (permalink) Wed Dec 03, 2008 16:08 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi Doug, please read this as it explains how to record a voice message: http://www.english-test.net/community/3/index.html#How_can_I_record_and_listen_to_audio_messages

TOEFL listening lectures: In October of which year did Vaudeville officially appear?

What is Your Callan Method? #12 (permalink) Wed Jan 13, 2010 22:10 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

Hi everyone,

I've just found out that now there is also a Callan school in Leipzig: http://www.speak-quick.de/index.html

TOEIC listening, talks: A traffic report is being given on the radio

What is Your Callan Method? #13 (permalink) Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:01 am   What is Your Callan Method?

My first ESL job was using Callan method at a school in Poland. I didn't like it because I felt it created far too many mistakes. I saw so many students with ingrained errors that could take years to help them overcome. Callan, Berlitz, and Inlingua all use a purely communicative method. It is useful for helping learners develop an inventory of words and forms. However, it ignores that fact that almost all 2nd Language Acquisition research shows that adult learners do not acquire an understanding of grammar without instruction of it like young children do.
_________________
There's no such thing as an exception to the rule...

My blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
OxfordBlues

What is Your Callan Method? #14 (permalink) Thu Jan 14, 2010 14:10 pm   What is Your Callan Method?

I find it amazing that people comment on the Callan method without having used it or (apparantly) asking students of the method what THEY think. There are over 100 Callan Schools in Poland. It has been widespread in Brazil, Spain and Italy and, of course, England. The Callan School itself is in Oxford street in London and has over 1500 students a week attanding. They have been going since 1960. No advertising/promotion.This means primarily word of mouth.
Book 3 is almost entirely grammer - so it is dealt with. I am a qualified teacher with a B.Ed. CELTA and I run a Callan school. At the end of book 4 I transfer to more traditional forms of teaching.
In my experience, teaching the method is hard work but a definite, measurable progress is made. There are some students who find the method unsuitable, although very few. There are some modern concepts missing; e.g. internet, mobiles, playstations, Eurostar, swineflue etc. I have written additional material which fills these gaps. There are some language forms not in common useage, ("have") but I find that keeping each useage simple and adding other forms when the first is learnt is clearer to the student.
The books are brilliant in their structure of introducing foundations and building upon those in vocabulary, form and content.
No I do not work for Callan and have a range of criticisms. At least I am speaking from experience, not from hearsay.
I would love a debate from within, Callan teachers being honest about their experiences.
Inteach

Location: Milton Keynes

Callan Method #15 (permalink) Tue Mar 23, 2010 15:32 pm   Callan Method

Hi all,

I really enjoyed reading your comments and thoughts on the Callan method. I would agree with most of you on the advantages and the drawbacks of the method.
I used to teach Callan in Poland in different Callan schools (1 year), then I was giving private Callan lessons in Ireland (my students were Polish).
Most of the feedback I'm getting from the students is very positive. They enjoy a lot the fact that they can speak up and thus become more confident. It's true that the method has its greatest impact/results on beginner/pre-intermediate/intermediate levels.
You often say that the method doesn't require much preparation for the teacher. It's true and I think it's one of its greatest advantages comparing to the traditional methods where you spend hours and hours to plan your lesson. However, this is the case for the teachers who know the method very well and who had invested quite a lot of time in learning the method and becoming efficient.
Unfortunately, I saw many poor Callan teachers in Poland, making pronunciation errors and not correcting the students. I still remember the case of a Stage 9 student who was not able to use correctly The Present Simple Tense (sic!). This should never be the case.
I also think that the method is not suitable for every teacher. All the teachers can use the traditional ESL methods, not all of them can use Callan. Callan requires a high level of energy, fluency and concentration from the teacher in order to make the lesson interesting and challenging.
I'm preparing right now my CELT (in Ireland) to become a fully qualified teacher and I'm thinking of opening a Callan school in France. To my great surprise, I cannot find any Callan schools in France? Can you tell me why this is so? Why isn't Callan popular in countries like Germany or France?
Mariados

What is written on this page?Ω - Tízezer lépés - Ten Thousand Paces (1969)ponxess.in problem: blocking youtube accessMaybe the US should fix their power grid?Do the Americans have their own language?Intangible Cultural Heritage - Question?!How do you deal with stress?Are herbal remedies safe?Mothers should stay at homeWhat do you think of Assisted Suicide? (Pros and Cons)Everything has a reasonKeygen for SoftwareIs culture bigger than Education?