Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to cipher
exclude
calendar
code
rectify
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the difference between play and plot?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'seem' mean? | Hearts, cupid, cards, chocolate.
listening exercises
What is the difference between play and plot? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2008 22:10 pm   What is the difference between play and plot?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #108 "Postcard: Writer", question 3

Many people have not followed the ......... of the story.

(a) plot
(b) play
(c) plan

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #108 "Postcard: Writer", answer 3

Many people have not followed the plot of the story.

Correct answer: (a) plot

Your answer was: incorrect
Many people have not followed the play of the story.

why can use play?
Juiceful1978

What is the difference between play and plot? #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:44 am   What is the difference between play and plot?

Hi Juiceful,

The word "plot" describes the main idea or theme of a story or book. The phrase 'play of the story' does not exist. Let me know if this helps.
Regards,
Torsten
PS: Your question should read "Why can't I use play"?

TOEIC listening, photographs: An overheating vehicle
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between play and plot? #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:34 am   What is the difference between play and plot?

ya it is helpful but if you can give some more stuff it wud become more understandable
Myfrndzz

What is the difference between play and plot? #4 (permalink) Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:20 am   What is the difference between play and plot?

Hello! I would like to know, why can't I use the word "plan" in this test? Doesn't the "plot" mean the "plan" in this context?
Maxmax
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What is the difference between play and plot? #5 (permalink) Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:27 am   What is the difference between play and plot?

Hello Maxmax.
The correct term here is 'plot'. This is the actual 'storyline' and although is a part of the author's planning, we do not refer to it in that way.
When authors plan a story they consider things such as the characters, setting and period of their story, as well as the plot - the way their story will run from the introduction through to the climax and on to a resolution.
Language Coach

What is the difference between play and plot? #6 (permalink) Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:30 am   What is the difference between play and plot?

So, "plot" is more accurate word here, and "plan" have too wide meaning?
Maxmax

What is the difference between play and plot? #7 (permalink) Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 am   What is the difference between play and plot?

That's correct.
Language Coach

What is the difference between play and plot? #8 (permalink) Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:53 am   What is the difference between play and plot?

I've got it, thank you very much!
Maxmax

What does 'seem' mean? | Hearts, cupid, cards, chocolate.
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
the salt mines.Verb Tense Practice(1)a veritable couch potato.difference between "fresh-shaven" and "clean-shavenWhat is ill timed financing?What is an electronic appliance?I want to go to Mexico, but I also want to go to Peru.information is uncountable...Affluent Romans?It took place of a sudden?Transplanting plantsSleeping Expressionsthe kiss of death