friend; member of an academic organization; suitor
recipient
instant
fellow
rubber

definiton of "on the rocks"

On Monday morning | What does "flush" mean in this sentence?
definiton of "on the rocks" #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:55 am   definiton of "on the rocks"

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #40 "American Slang Words (14)", question 10

Can I have a scotch on the rocks please?

(a) in a tall glass
(b) with soda
(c) with ice

ESL/EFL Test #40 "American Slang Words (14)", answer 10

Can I have a scotch with ice please?

Correct answer: (c) with ice
_________________________

definiton of on the rocks?

Mergen
Mergen

definiton of "on the rocks" #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:29 pm   definiton of "on the rocks"

This simply means that the whisky has blocks of ice in it. The ice blocks are compared to rocks (large stones).

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
definiton of "on the rocks" #3 (permalink) Tue Oct 14, 2008 13:26 pm   definiton of "on the rocks"

.
That's an interesting difference. I'd understand "ice block" to be a very large chunk of ice -- a piece of ice much too large to fit in a glass. Something like this, for example:

In American English, I'd expect the square pieces of ice that might be found in a glass/drink to be called "ice cubes". Here is a picture of Jack Daniels on the rocks (i.e. with ice cubes):

.
_________________

What does miserable mean?Meaning of behavioralThis test helped me improve my English!What does 'prize' mean?What's the difference between clothes and cloths?get down vs. get depressedWhat does the idiom 'horse sense' mean?'my blood turned to ice' vs 'my blood turned to water'invented vs. developedyourself vs himselfwhy is not said, since to greet means say hi?What are idioms?ever vs. always