guidance; supervision; conducting; management
abbreviation
forecast
survey
direction

Difference between persist and insist

Without a stain on his character | Difference between 'see about a plan' and 'see into a plan'
Difference between persist and insist #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 24, 2005 16:16 pm   Difference between persist and insist

Test No. incompl/inter-97 "Letter of Complaint (4)", question 9

and must ......... that you do something immediately to put the matter right.

(a) persist
(b) resist
(c) insist
(d) desist

Test No. incompl/inter-97 "Letter of Complaint (4)", answer 9

and must insist that you do something immediately to put the matter right.

Correct answer: (c) insist

and must persist that you do something immediately to put the matter right.
_________________________

What's the difference between "insist" and "persist"? Especially as "on" has been omitted in your example.

Difference between persist and insist #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 24, 2005 17:59 pm   Difference between persist and insist

Insist can be used with on and also a that clause as in: I insist that you keep quiet/I insist on your silence. In both cases it means that you are quite clear in telling somebody what they must do. Persist is usually followed by in and means continue doing something although other people don't like you doing it.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
I was told it would comeMeaning of ascertainMeaning of "Day in day out"Difference between offensive and offendingAs-needed or as-requiredDifference between recur and repeatWhat does this idiom mean: to go to pieces?Straight versus easyNothing of noteDifference between practise and practiceQuestion tagsWhat does the phrase 'in the open air' mean?Difference between records and recordings