supply; stock; means of accomplishing a goal; expedient
stance
secret
statement
resource

Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

Can I say "It is a habit from us"? | Get mad at someone
Should we use reported speech only after 'said'? #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 15, 2008 18:20 pm   Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

Should we use Reported speech only after 'said' (I said.....You said etc.)??? What about other verbs? For example : I found out....I noticed.........I knew......
Are these sentences correct?:
1. Kate is pregnant.
I found out that Kate is pregnant (is- because the situation hasn't changed) or should I say:
I found out that Kate was pregnant.?
2. You fastened your seat belts.
I noticed that you fastened (or had fastened) your seat belts.?
3. You wrote to my mother .
I knew that you wrote (or had written) to my mother.
Does sequence of tenses mean the same as reported speech?

Should we use reported speech only after 'said'? #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:03 pm   Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

.
These are all examples of tense sequence or tense regression:

I found out that Kate is pregnant.-- Yes, still pregnant
I found out that Kate was pregnant.-- regression of the verb
I noticed that you had fastened your seat belts.
I found out (because 'know' still holds true) that you had written to my mother.

Does sequence of tenses mean the same as reported speech?-- Reported speech is one kind of tense regression; it is as it says, 'reporting', so usually takes such verbs as say, ask, demand, etc as the main verb.
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Should we use reported speech only after 'said'? #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:20 pm   Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

Thank you Mr Mister Micawber.
Please tell me when should I change the verb(s) in subordinate clause to its/(their) past forms and when not? When the situation hasn't changed I shouldn't change the verb to its past form?

Should we use reported speech only after 'said'? #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:31 pm   Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

.
You can always regress the verb; you can also choose not to regress it if the condition or situation still obtains at the present.
_________________

Should we use reported speech only after 'said'? #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 14:22 pm   Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

Mr Mister Micawber thank you very much. Your explanation is clear.

Should we use reported speech only after 'said'? #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 16:56 pm   Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

Mr Micawber, so:
1.We use tense sequence or tense regression when/if there is past verb in the main clause,right?
2. We don't have to change Past Simple in Reported speech to Past Perfect, but we can. Do we have to change Past Simple to Past Perfect in tense sequence/tense regression or it also can be:
You fastened your seat belts.
I noticed that you fastened your seat belts.?

Should we use reported speech only after 'said'? #7 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:59 am   Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

.
1-- Right.
2-- I think you should, usually.
.
_________________

Should we use reported speech only after 'said'? #8 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:21 am   Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?

Thanks Mr Micawber.

Is it correct to say: I'd prefer to study German rather than work as a mechanic?He is a good male boyExpression: "Please put the sweater on..."Can we say 'sociable with sb'?grammatical functions of a sentencefire accident or fire incident?The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"The use of 'as to' and 'regarding'Expression: For the record, I check..."What are quantifers and in which situations are they used?How can we apply the verb "would prefer to... than... "?How to read numbers?Usage of "has gone to" in American English