Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

common; shared; collective
corporate
profuse
set
crucial
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Would it be wrong to say consume?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does "carry off" mean? | Meaning of "Time consuming"
listening exercises
Would it be wrong to say consume? #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:37 am   Would it be wrong to say consume?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Postcard: France", question 5

At home we ......... a big breakfast as you know.

(a) eat
(b) consume
(c) drink

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #112 "Postcard: France", answer 5

At home we eat a big breakfast as you know.

Correct answer: (a) eat

woud it be wrong to say consume ?
I'm here quite often ;-)

Woud it be wrong to say consume? #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:36 am   Woud it be wrong to say consume?

Hi Joaof,

It doesn't really work here and certainly not in a short note on a postcard. The first meaning of consume is use up as in: That car consumes a lot of petrol. The use of the verb with food and drink is usually only used in a formal way as in: The police reported that the accused had already consumed 4 litres of beer.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Woud it be wrong to say consume? #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 18:12 pm   Woud it be wrong to say consume?

Hi

In reference to breakfast I guess you could say:

"We consumed all the food in our house for our BIG breakie."

But in general it is not common to use it in connection with food.

Woud it be wrong to say consume? #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 18, 2008 15:16 pm   Woud it be wrong to say consume?

Joao Fonseca wrote:
woud it be wrong to say consume ?

It would not be wrong to say "consume"; on a postcard, it might have a humorous air, or it might imply "eating to excess".

In a non-humorous context, you might use the phrase "consume breakfast" in e.g. a report on eating habits:

1. Studies have found that children who consume breakfast are less likely to be overweight.

2. The average total energy intake was significantly lower for children who did not consume breakfast.

NB In ordinary usage, in British English at least, you would usually "have breakfast", "have a big breakfast", etc.

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Woud it be wrong to say consume? #5 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 13:04 pm   Woud it be wrong to say consume?

in this case souldn't we have to use the verb in past ? No "eat" but "ate"? Because it's alredy happened.
Judit

Woud it be wrong to say consume? #6 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 18:34 pm   Woud it be wrong to say consume?

Hi judit,

It could be past as well, but then it would refer to a particular breakfast they had. In this case, as there are only present tenses to chose, it means an action which is quite usual:

'At home we eat a big breakfast'
'We never have breakfast after 9 am at home'

It implies a common action, performed with a regular timing - it could be on a daily or weekly basis.
Esgogar
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does "carry off" mean? | Meaning of "Time consuming"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the meaning by saying the team chemistry of the group?What does "entails of the details" mean?What does the "staffing efforts" mean?Why is it called as cellular telephone?Difference between 'I'll see if I can help' and 'I'll look if I can help'"Me either" usagenatural rights, moral rightsThe sorts of support which the firm could giveWhat does 'put off' mean?Overhead levelled off?Why said insted of told?What is 'clear title'?What does read him like a book mean?