made of a thin flexible cord of metal
healthy
rear
fellow
wire

adopt a name or accept a name

Usage of "really stuck / really stick" | difference between dialect and accent
adopt a name or accept a name #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:49 am   adopt a name or accept a name

Hi All,

If a woman gets married and want to change her name we say,

- she adopts the name of her husband
or
- she accept the name of her husband
or are both of them wrong?
Attila

adopt a name or accept a name #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:56 am   adopt a name or accept a name

takes
Molly

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
adopt a name or accept a name #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:01 am   adopt a name or accept a name

Hi Attila,

'Adopt' in your sentence suggests take on with the idea of doing this with something new. 'Accept' suggests agree to take. Don't forget the 's' for the third person singular as in: 'wants to change' and 'she accepts'. Both sentences are perfectly correct but as I have tried to explain, there is a slight difference in emphasis.

_________________

adopt a name or accept a name #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:14 am   adopt a name or accept a name

Thanks and sorry, for forgetting the 's' for the third person.
Attila

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"What are quantifers and in which situations are they used?What does "chops" mean?Who "would" hide your cap in the tree?How to read numbers?miss him more vs. miss him a lotI think that my continued efforts to find the child alive are justified by...Usage of "There is a/the..." (There is a/the book on the table, etc.)Usage of "has gone to" in American Englishmeaning of captureSentence: The four steps were enforced at that time with a view ... absenteeism"has gone to" vs "will be"Is "Talkable" a valid adjective or something made up?