individual's social or professional standing; position; rank; present situation
means
offing
status
cushion

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

Usage of "has gone to" in American English | Expression "the way was long"
The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 19:56 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

A native speaker told me that "nice meeting you" is used only after meeting a person who we were not introduced before with. And once we are introduced, we say, "Nice seeing you". Do you agree?

PS: Is the red line correct and natural? How about, with whom we were not introduce before.

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 21:03 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

Hi Tom

That is correct. (Or was it me who told you in the first place? :lol:)

who we were not introduced before with
I'd usually use this:

- who we hadn't been introduced to before

The use of "whom" would be very formal.
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 22:13 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

That is correct.

It's OK if put in this way, right?

nice meeting you again

The use of "whom" would be very formal.

Very? Are you sure?
Molly

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 22:16 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

Hi Molly

I'm aware that you are quite fond of using "whom".
.
_________________

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #5 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 22:17 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

Yankee wrote:
Hi Molly

.

Maybe, but I asked why you thought it is "very formal".

BTW, would you say I use whom more than MrP does?
Molly

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #6 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 22:28 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

Molly wrote:
Yes.

Are you trying to tell Tom that the most commonly used wording of his sentence would be with "whom"? (That sort of advice would sound rather prescriptive to me.)
.
_________________

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #7 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 22:33 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

Are you trying to tell Tom that the most commonly used wording of his sentence would be with "whom"?

What has "commonly" got to do with "very formal"? I'm wondering why you said that whom is very formal and did not just say "whom is formal", which is truer.
Molly

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #8 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 23:33 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

M wrote:

If we exclude quotations, the Search facility reveals the current "whoms" score as:

Molly 20 MrP 3

(In terms of FIFA rankings, that makes M. Spain, and me American Samoa.)

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you" #9 (permalink) Thu Oct 16, 2008 23:42 pm   The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"

Over how many years? Did you check out the used, not quoted, "awry" count? :lol:
Molly

grammatical functions of a sentenceGet mad at someonefire accident or fire incident?The use of 'as to' and 'regarding'Expression: For the record, I check..."What are quantifers and in which situations are they used?What does "chops" mean?Can I say "It is a habit from us"?adopt a name or accept a namedifference between dialect and accentHow can we apply the verb "would prefer to... than... "?How to read numbers?Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?