Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

strong feeling or idea left by an experience; effect; vague memory
downturn
temper
intention
impression
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

fire accident or fire incident?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Get mad at someone | Expression: For the record, I check..."
listening exercises
fire accident or fire incident? #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:46 am   fire accident or fire incident?

Which is correct, fire accident or fire incident?

fire accident or fire incident? #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:15 am   fire accident or fire incident?

Hi Sitifan,

There is a difference in meaning rather than a question of correctness. 'Incident' refers to something that has happened - an incident in which a fire broke out. 'Accident' refers to something that happened as a result of chance or carelessness - the fire started by accident when someone threw a lighted cigarette on the ground.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
fire accident or fire incident? #3 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:07 am   fire accident or fire incident?

Dear Sitifan,

How are things with you in Taiwan? In addition to Alan's explanation you might want to read accident vs. incident.

Please let me know what you think.
Regards,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, question-response: You didn't shut down your computer, did you?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

fire accident or fire incident? #4 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:01 pm   fire accident or fire incident?

Mister Micawber wrote:
Incident-- a single distinct event

Accident-- anything that happens by chance without an apparent cause; also, a mishap, especially one causing injury or death.

Some incidents are accidental, others are purposeful. On the other hand, almost all accidents are incidents.

Why use the word "almost"?
Can anyone give me an example of an incident which is not an accident?

fire accident or fire incident? #5 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:24 pm   fire accident or fire incident?

Hi,

Yes. An incident was reported last night in the high street when a man was arrested by the police for causing an obstruction on the road The man did this on purpose, it wasn't an accident.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

fire accident or fire incident? #6 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:29 pm   fire accident or fire incident?

Sorry!!! I mad a serious typo.
I think that all accidents are incidents. Why say that "almost" all accidents are incidents?
Can anyone give me an example of an accident which is not an incident?

fire accident or fire incident? #7 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:39 pm   fire accident or fire incident?

You ll have to take up the 'almost' with the original poster. To answer your question - I think an incident is really only an incident when it is of some relatively serious nature. If I spill coffee over my keyboard, it's an accident but that hardly warrants the description of 'incident'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Get mad at someone | Expression: For the record, I check..."
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Is it correct to say: I'd prefer to study German rather than work as a mechanic?He is a good male boyExpression: "Please put the sweater on..."Can we say 'sociable with sb'?in the year 2000 or in 2000?grammatical functions of a sentenceThe use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"The use of 'as to' and 'regarding'Expression: "By the time..."Can I say "It is a habit from us"?How can we apply the verb "would prefer to... than... "?Should we use reported speech only after 'said'?Usage of "has gone to" in American English