Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to mark as different; to see as different; to discern; to recognize
canvass
distinguish
exceed
provide
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

grammatical functions of a sentence

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
How can we apply the verb "would prefer to... than... "? | Would and was (should I use the part of Conditional II?)
listening exercises
grammatical functions of a sentence #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:04 am   grammatical functions of a sentence

Hi everyone,
I'm working on this sentence but I'm having trouble with it.
This is what I have so far:

To a county so fond of self-deprecation, and for so long in the grumbling, intimidated shadow of its bigger and brasher transatlantic neighbour, it was as though the hometown boy had pulled the prom queen.

to = ?
a country so fond of self-deprecation = subject

and for so long in the grumbling, intimidated shadow of its bigger and brasher transatlantic neighbour = predicate
(I have to do the functions of this predicate as well because I have to show "the second levels" too)

it was as though = ?

the hometown boy = Direct Object

had pulled = Verbal predicate

the prom queen = Indirect Object

Can anyone help me with this or could somebody point me to a good website regarding this subject?

Thanks in advance,
Jeroen
Jeroen1000

grammatical functions of a sentence #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 14:29 pm   grammatical functions of a sentence

To a country so fond of self-deprecation, and for so long in the grumbling, intimidated shadow of its bigger and brasher trans-Atlantic neighbour, it was as though the hometown boy had pulled the prom queen.

to = preposition
a country so fond of self-deprecation = object of preposition

and for so long in the grumbling, intimidated shadow of its bigger and brasher transatlantic neighbour = nonfinite adjectival clause/phrase

it was -- main Subject and Verb

as though = conjunction

the hometown boy = Subject of dependent clause

had pulled = Verb

the prom queen = Direct Object

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
How can we apply the verb "would prefer to... than... "? | Would and was (should I use the part of Conditional II?)
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is it correct to say: I'd prefer to study German rather than work as a mechanic?He is a good male boyExpression: "Please put the sweater on..."Expression: "Don't write so big."Can we say 'sociable with sb'?Expression: "Just wanted to..."'to write a blog' vs to make a blog'in the year 2000 or in 2000?Get mad at someonefire accident or fire incident?The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"The use of 'as to' and 'regarding'Expression: "By the time..."