to mark as different; to see as different; to discern; to recognize
canvass
distinguish
exceed
provide

grammatical functions of a sentence

How can we apply the verb "would prefer to... than... "? | Would and was (should I use the part of Conditional II?)
grammatical functions of a sentence #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:04 am   grammatical functions of a sentence

Hi everyone,
I'm working on this sentence but I'm having trouble with it.
This is what I have so far:

To a county so fond of self-deprecation, and for so long in the grumbling, intimidated shadow of its bigger and brasher transatlantic neighbour, it was as though the hometown boy had pulled the prom queen.

to = ?
a country so fond of self-deprecation = subject

and for so long in the grumbling, intimidated shadow of its bigger and brasher transatlantic neighbour = predicate
(I have to do the functions of this predicate as well because I have to show "the second levels" too)

it was as though = ?

the hometown boy = Direct Object

had pulled = Verbal predicate

the prom queen = Indirect Object

Can anyone help me with this or could somebody point me to a good website regarding this subject?

Thanks in advance,
Jeroen
Jeroen1000

grammatical functions of a sentence #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 17, 2008 14:29 pm   grammatical functions of a sentence

.
To a country so fond of self-deprecation, and for so long in the grumbling, intimidated shadow of its bigger and brasher trans-Atlantic neighbour, it was as though the hometown boy had pulled the prom queen.

to = preposition
a country so fond of self-deprecation = object of preposition

and for so long in the grumbling, intimidated shadow of its bigger and brasher transatlantic neighbour = nonfinite adjectival clause/phrase

it was -- main Subject and Verb

as though = conjunction

the hometown boy = Subject of dependent clause

had pulled = Verb

the prom queen = Direct Object
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is it correct to say: I'd prefer to study German rather than work as a mechanic?He is a good male boyExpression: "Please put the sweater on..."Expression: "Don't write so big."Can we say 'sociable with sb'?Expression: "Just wanted to..."'to write a blog' vs to make a blog'in the year 2000 or in 2000?Get mad at someonefire accident or fire incident?The use of "nice meeting you" and "nice seeing you"The use of 'as to' and 'regarding'Expression: "By the time..."