Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

comment; observation; notice
remark
guideline
ambivalence
veil
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Every been to Italy?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'show business' mean? | What is the difference between insult and assult?
listening exercises
Every been to Italy? #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:55 am   Every been to Italy?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #708 "Ever vs. never", question 1

A: Tell me, have you ......... been to Italy?

(a) ever
(b) always
(c) sometimes
(d) never

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #708 "Ever vs. never", answer 1

A: Tell me, have you ever been to Italy?

Correct answer: (a) ever

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND

ROYBERT YOUNG
Roybert

Every been to Italy? #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:01 am   Every been to Italy?

'Ever' is the adverb that we use in this kind of question, Roybert.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Every been to Italy? #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:47 am   Every been to Italy?

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your answer. Sometimes people ask me why it's 'been to Italy' and not 'been in Italy'. Is there a logical explanation for this?

TOEIC listening, question-response: Has everyone decided what they'd like for their main dish?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Every been to Italy? #4 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:58 am   Every been to Italy?

Definition#4 in the American Heritage Dictionary, Torsten:

BE: 4. To go or come: Have you ever been to Italy? Have you been home recently?

I suppose that doesn't answer your question though. 'Idiomatic'.

Every been to Italy? #5 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:32 am   Every been to Italy?

Hi Torsten,

'Been in Italy' changes the meaning. You could say: I've been in Italy during high season. This indicates either that you were living or visiting Italy during that time.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Every been to Italy? #6 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:38 am   Every been to Italy?

Hi Charles and Alan,

Thanks a lot for your explanations -- you've answered my question because now I know what to tell the people who are going to ask me ;-).

TOEIC listening, question-response: How far is it from the office to the metro stop?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does 'show business' mean? | What is the difference between insult and assult?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"on the coast" vs "at the coast"What does 'making for' and 'can't follow' mean? (Multiple choice test number 19)Taking place?Meaning of "I have no idea why"How do I address an envelope to a widowed woman?What is the relation between fax no. and pages?The time of the year?What does miserable mean?Meaning of behavioralsmell vs. scentThis test helped me improve my English!What does 'prize' mean?invented vs. developed