comment; observation; notice
remark
guideline
ambivalence
veil

Every been to Italy?

What does 'show business' mean? | What is the difference between insult and assult?
Every been to Italy? #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:55 am   Every been to Italy?

ESL/EFL Test #708 "Ever vs. never", question 1

A: Tell me, have you ......... been to Italy?

(a) ever
(b) always
(c) sometimes
(d) never

ESL/EFL Test #708 "Ever vs. never", answer 1

A: Tell me, have you ever been to Italy?

Correct answer: (a) ever
_________________________

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND

ROYBERT YOUNG
Roybert

Every been to Italy? #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:01 am   Every been to Italy?

.
'Ever' is the adverb that we use in this kind of question, Roybert.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Every been to Italy? #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:47 am   Every been to Italy?

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your answer. Sometimes people ask me why it's 'been to Italy' and not 'been in Italy'. Is there a logical explanation for this?

TOEIC listening, question-response: Has everyone decided what they'd like for their main dish?

Every been to Italy? #4 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:58 am   Every been to Italy?

.
Definition#4 in the American Heritage Dictionary, Torsten:

BE: 4. To go or come: Have you ever been to Italy? Have you been home recently?

I suppose that doesn't answer your question though. 'Idiomatic'.
.
_________________

Every been to Italy? #5 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:32 am   Every been to Italy?

Hi Torsten,

'Been in Italy' changes the meaning. You could say: I've been in Italy during high season. This indicates either that you were living or visiting Italy during that time.

_________________

Every been to Italy? #6 (permalink) Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:38 am   Every been to Italy?

Hi Charles and Alan,

Thanks a lot for your explanations -- you've answered my question because now I know what to tell the people who are going to ask me ;-).

TOEIC listening, question-response: How far is it from the office to the metro stop?

"on the coast" vs "at the coast"What does 'making for' and 'can't follow' mean? (Multiple choice test number 19)Taking place?Meaning of "I have no idea why"How do I address an envelope to a widowed woman?What is the relation between fax no. and pages?The time of the year?What does miserable mean?Meaning of behavioralsmell vs. scentThis test helped me improve my English!What does 'prize' mean?invented vs. developed