to bring from another place; to bring goods from a foreign country; to signify; to imply
will
import
clear
approach

Difference between offensive and offending

Difference between recur and repeat | As-needed or as-required
Difference between offensive and offending #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:11 am   Difference between offensive and offending

Test No. incompl/inter-95 "Letter of Complaint (2)", question 5

which I found most ......... especially since throughout the protracted period of waiting for the machine

(a) offended
(b) offending
(c) offensive
(d) offends

Test No. incompl/inter-95 "Letter of Complaint (2)", answer 5

which I found most offensive especially since throughout the protracted period of waiting for the machine

Correct answer: (c) offensive

which I found most offending especially since throughout the protracted period of waiting for the machine
_________________________

I don't understand the difference between "offensive" and "offending" in this context.

Further short question - this "most" can be translated with "very", too?

Offending/offensive #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:39 am   Offending/offensive

You need the adjective offensive here. You would have to use offending more in a verbal sense or as an adjective suggesting some kind of active meaning.

So we can say:

Please remove the offending remarks from the letter - in the sense that they could cause offence.

Please remove the offensive remarks from the letter - in the sense that they have already caused offence.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Letter of the lawA law unto s.oDifference between "correct" and "right"I was told it would comeShe wants to live in ParisMeaning of ascertainMeaning of "Day in day out"What does this idiom mean: to go to pieces?Difference between 'see about a plan' and 'see into a plan'Straight versus easyDifference between persist and insistWithout a stain on his characterNothing of note