Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to make whole; to finish; to perfect
complete
agree
build
realize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

closing vs. stopping a meeting

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "we mustn't leave it so long next time" | What does "likewise" mean?
listening exercises
closing vs. stopping a meeting #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:17 pm   closing vs. stopping a meeting

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #131 "Ways of approving", question 10

The meeting unanimously supported the chairman when he suggested that they ......... the meeting.

(a) shut
(b) finalise
(c) stop
(d) close

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #131 "Ways of approving", answer 10

The meeting unanimously supported the chairman when he suggested that they close the meeting.

Correct answer: (d) close

Your answer was: incorrect
The meeting unanimously supported the chairman when he suggested that they stop the meeting.

why use close not stop here
Juiceful1978

closing vs. stopping a meeting #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:37 pm   closing vs. stopping a meeting

If you close a meeting you finish it successfully. If you stop a meeting you just interrupt it without reaching the goals of the meeting.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you live by yourself?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
closing vs. stopping a meeting #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 18:32 pm   closing vs. stopping a meeting

Why shouldn't it be conversely:
The chairman unanimously supported the meeting?
instead of:
The meeting unanimously supported the chairman , then I think it should be:The meeting was unanimously supported by the chairman .

what do you think?
thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

closing vs. stopping a meeting #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 20:59 pm   closing vs. stopping a meeting

You have changed the meaning entirely, Saneta.
The sentence is not helped by the strange choice of words in the original. I suspect a typo. I think the original should have said:
The members unanimously supported the chairman when he suggested that they close the meeting.
Language Coach

Meaning of "we mustn't leave it so long next time" | What does "likewise" mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
how he would stick it outhis cows broke into the grain binCan you hold a moment?I couldn't care less.preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that jobMeaning of "you can count on me"When to use annouce in stead of said?When I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerdifference between leave and departHow to pronounce 'one'?Is "WAS" an intransitive verb here?Meaning of "let's shake on that"What does "be of a like mind" mean here?