to make whole; to finish; to perfect
complete
agree
build
realize

closing vs. stopping a meeting

Meaning of "we mustn't leave it so long next time" | What does "likewise" mean?
closing vs. stopping a meeting #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:17 pm   closing vs. stopping a meeting

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #131 "Ways of approving", question 10

The meeting unanimously supported the chairman when he suggested that they ......... the meeting.

(a) shut
(b) finalise
(c) stop
(d) close

ESL/EFL Test #131 "Ways of approving", answer 10

The meeting unanimously supported the chairman when he suggested that they close the meeting.

Correct answer: (d) close

The meeting unanimously supported the chairman when he suggested that they stop the meeting.
_________________________

why use close not stop here
Juiceful1978

closing vs. stopping a meeting #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 23, 2008 22:37 pm   closing vs. stopping a meeting

If you close a meeting you finish it successfully. If you stop a meeting you just interrupt it without reaching the goals of the meeting.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you live by yourself?

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
closing vs. stopping a meeting #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 18:32 pm   closing vs. stopping a meeting

Why shouldn't it be conversely:
The chairman unanimously supported the meeting?
instead of:
The meeting unanimously supported the chairman , then I think it should be:The meeting was unanimously supported by the chairman .

what do you think?

closing vs. stopping a meeting #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 06, 2013 20:59 pm   closing vs. stopping a meeting

You have changed the meaning entirely, Saneta.
The sentence is not helped by the strange choice of words in the original. I suspect a typo. I think the original should have said:
The members unanimously supported the chairman when he suggested that they close the meeting.
_________________

how he would stick it outhis cows broke into the grain binCan you hold a moment?I couldn't care less.preposition at/on/in in the example How I got that jobMeaning of "you can count on me"When to use annouce in stead of said?When I get the wrong answer I want you show, and when I choose the right answerdifference between leave and departHow to pronounce 'one'?Is "WAS" an intransitive verb here?Meaning of "let's shake on that"What does "be of a like mind" mean here?