to require; to compel; to force upon; to enforce; to institute
floor
second
execute
impose

I was told it would come

Meaning of ascertain | She wants to live in Paris
I was told it would come #1 (permalink) Sun May 01, 2005 17:52 pm   I was told it would come

Test No. incompl/inter-94 "Letter of Complaint", question 7

In the end nobody came that day. When I phoned, I was told it ......... come the following Tuesday.

(a) will
(b) shall
(c) ought
(d) would

Test No. incompl/inter-94 "Letter of Complaint", answer 7

In the end nobody came that day. When I phoned, I was told it would come the following Tuesday.

Correct answer: (d) would

In the end nobody came that day. When I phoned, I was told it shall come the following Tuesday.
_________________________

This answer made me even more unsure and let me write why one does not take any auiliary verb for the future?

Shall/would #2 (permalink) Sun May 01, 2005 18:51 pm   Shall/would

This is an example of indirect or reported speech. For example:

Direct speech: It will come tomorrow.

Indirect speech: He said it would come the next day.

Have a look at the piece I wrote on the site under ESL lessons, which gives examples of indirect speech.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
I can't meet you on that matterDifference between receding and recessionFill in or fill out?Difference between longstanding and regular customerDifference between error and mistakeProgressive form of wantLetter of the lawA law unto s.oDifference between "correct" and "right"Meaning of "Day in day out"Difference between offensive and offendingAs-needed or as-requiredDifference between recur and repeat