Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to require; to compel; to force upon; to enforce; to institute
floor
second
execute
impose
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I was told it would come

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of ascertain | She wants to live in Paris
listening exercises
I was told it would come #1 (permalink) Sun May 01, 2005 17:52 pm   I was told it would come

Test No. incompl/inter-94 "Letter of Complaint", question 7

In the end nobody came that day. When I phoned, I was told it ......... come the following Tuesday.

(a) will
(b) shall
(c) ought
(d) would

Test No. incompl/inter-94 "Letter of Complaint", answer 7

In the end nobody came that day. When I phoned, I was told it would come the following Tuesday.

Correct answer: (d) would

Your answer was: incorrect
In the end nobody came that day. When I phoned, I was told it shall come the following Tuesday.

This answer made me even more unsure and let me write why one does not take any auiliary verb for the future?

Shall/would #2 (permalink) Sun May 01, 2005 18:51 pm   Shall/would

This is an example of indirect or reported speech. For example:

Direct speech: It will come tomorrow.

Indirect speech: He said it would come the next day.

Have a look at the piece I wrote on the site under ESL lessons, which gives examples of indirect speech.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of ascertain | She wants to live in Paris
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
I can't meet you on that matterDifference between receding and recessionFill in or fill out?Difference between longstanding and regular customerDifference between error and mistakeProgressive form of wantLetter of the lawA law unto s.oDifference between "correct" and "right"Meaning of "Day in day out"Difference between offensive and offendingAs-needed or as-requiredDifference between recur and repeat