purchase; something that has been purchased or obtained
acquisition
appearance
episode
finish

A law unto s.o

Letter of the law | Progressive form of want
A law unto s.o #1 (permalink) Mon May 02, 2005 9:59 am   A law unto s.o

Test No. incompl/advan-51 "Yours Lawfully", question 6

They have no respect for modern conventions and do exactly what they want - they are a law ......... themselves.

(a) unto
(b) into
(c) outside
(d) across

Test No. incompl/advan-51 "Yours Lawfully", answer 6

They have no respect for modern conventions and do exactly what they want - they are a law unto themselves.

Correct answer: (a) unto

They have no respect for modern conventions and do exactly what they want - they are a law across themselves.
_________________________

"a law unto s.o." - could you please explain that to me? I just found "unto" as a poetic word in the dictionary.

Unto #2 (permalink) Mon May 02, 2005 10:10 am   Unto

Yes, this is an oldfashioned word. Here a law unto themslves means they do exactly what they want to do and don't care what other people think.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Publish the accountsThe difference between connecting and linking?I can't meet you on that matterDifference between receding and recessionFill in or fill out?Difference between longstanding and regular customerDifference between error and mistakeWhen to use "that" and when not toDifference between "correct" and "right"I was told it would comeShe wants to live in ParisMeaning of ascertainMeaning of "Day in day out"