coins and paper notes which have value; currency; medium of trade; wealth
example
lifestyle
money
clerk

Letter of the law

Difference between "correct" and "right" | A law unto s.o
Letter of the law #1 (permalink) Mon May 02, 2005 10:04 am   Letter of the law

Test No. incompl/advan-51 "Yours Lawfully", question 8

Although technically his judgement was not according to the ......... of the law, most people thought the judge was right to let the man go free.

(a) print
(b) number
(c) point
(d) letter

Test No. incompl/advan-51 "Yours Lawfully", answer 8

Although technically his judgement was not according to the letter of the law, most people thought the judge was right to let the man go free.

Correct answer: (d) letter

Although technically his judgement was not according to the point of the law, most people thought the judge was right to let the man go free.
_________________________

Would you be so kind to paraphrase "letter of the law" - THANK YOU!

Letter of the law #2 (permalink) Mon May 02, 2005 10:06 am   Letter of the law

This expression describes the exact words as they are written down in a legal document - in a general sense according to the letter of the law means precisely/exactly.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Publish the accountsThe difference between connecting and linking?I can't meet you on that matterDifference between receding and recessionFill in or fill out?Difference between longstanding and regular customerDifference between error and mistakeWhen to use "that" and when not toProgressive form of wantI was told it would comeShe wants to live in ParisMeaning of ascertainMeaning of "Day in day out"