to impede; to obstruct; to hinder; to meddle
pretend
margin
interfere
tie

Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Smooth sailing | She needs to mind her own beeswax...
Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #1 (permalink) Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:41 am   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

"Keep your shirt .......... We'll figure it out. There's no cause for alarm," Jimmy told his boss when the computers stopped working suddenly.

(a) out
(b) down
(c) on
(d) off

"Keep your shirt on. We'll figure it out. There's no cause for alarm," Jimmy told his boss when the computers stopped working suddenly.

Correct answer: (c) on
_________________________

what does the idiom,"taking books to the librarian's daughter is like carrying coals to Newcastle" mean and where did it originate
Homey

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #2 (permalink) Fri Oct 31, 2008 14:13 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

.
The idiom is 'CARRY COALS TO NEWCASTLE.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Test and other things #3 (permalink) Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:13 am   Test and other things

test was done for the third time on 25th November 2010.
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #4 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:55 am   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Hello Mister Micawber,

In my dictionary " carry coals in Newcastle " means: to do something pointless and superfluous
but
Keep your shirt on means tell somebody not to get angry
Exp:
-Keep your shirt on!
-It was only a joke.
synonyms:
-keep one's head
-remain cool
-keep one's temper
-keep one's hair on

Best regards:
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #5 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:00 am   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

That's correct, Kati.

Do you know where the expression 'like carrying coals to Newcastle' comes from? At the height of the coal mining industry in Britain, Newcastle-upon-Tyne (to give it its full name) was one of the chief producers of coal. They had so much coal there that there was no need to import it to Newcastle from anywhere else. If someone had imported coal there, it would have been pointless.
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #6 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:27 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Thoroughly
'pointmess'
wouldn't you say? as this is explained above at #2

_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #7 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:54 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

It is only explained in post #2 if you click on the link then wade through the extra text.

I suppose it could be compared to defining a word in a post rather than expecting someone to click on a link to a dictionary definition of that word and reading the explanation there. Now, I'm sure I know someone who does that every now and again.

Theme vs. topic?
Meaning of words 'overtaker' and 'takeover'
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #8 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 13:09 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Worth pointing out that these replies are in response to questions to me and words used in my essays. Is that 'pointmess'? But then I'm flattered you have taken the trouble to check my posts.

_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #9 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 13:48 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Hello Alan, I would never correct your answers, because these are very understandable and logic and I like them very much! I'm sorry. And I don't understand anything what happened who wrote this word " pointmess".

I am very sorry.

I finish . I try to repeat these idioms because I totally forgot them.
Kati S.
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #10 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 13:55 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Hi Katy,

That's just me pointing out a typo made by Bev above at #5 , who meant to say 'pointless' but she has now amended it and all is well.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #11 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 14:04 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Thanks Alan,

Then you believe in me that I didn't want to hurt you. Never!!! Now I lost my footing, and I stirred up a hornet's nest. I'm very sorry.
Regards:
Kati.S.
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #12 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 14:44 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

No,need for apologies, Kati. You didn't stir up trouble.
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #13 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 14:47 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

You see, I knew you were after my attention.
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #14 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 20:25 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Hi Bz,

I don't understand the whole. I can say only I am sorry.

Kati
_________________

Taking books to the librarian's daughter? #15 (permalink) Sun Feb 06, 2011 20:28 pm   Taking books to the librarian's daughter?

Hi Kati,

Don't worry. You are not alone. To be honest, I don't really understand what the Pink Lady is on about sometimes!

_________________
You can read my EFL story Prepositions

straight answer vs. right answerShe's as mad as a hatterMeaning of "guise"?Test incompl/inter-274, Question 10Test incompl/inter-274, Question 10Test incompl/inter-274, Question 10back to the bullpenThe writer or author of verses is called a poet.New kid on the block?Meaning of "It's the cat's meow"What is the meaning of butted head?Taking books to the librarian's daughter?, page 2Can you give me an example of irony?