to quit an office or position; to relinquish; to give up; to abdicate
detect
resign
fence
lead

Expressions "like a ton of bricks"

Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg? | Idiomatic phrase "learn and tell"
Expressions "like a ton of bricks" #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 03, 2008 18:36 pm   Expressions "like a ton of bricks"

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #47 "House/Building Idioms (1)", question 6

The restaurant owner was so happy and he announced that all drinks were on the house.

(a) should be served outside
(b) should be served warm
(c) were free and paid for by the owner/restaurant

ESL/EFL Test #47 "House/Building Idioms (1)", answer 6

The restaurant owner was so happy and he announced that all drinks were free and paid for by the owner/restaurant.

Correct answer: (c) were free and paid for by the owner/restaurant
_________________________

like a ton of bricks?

Madyar
Madyar

Expressions "like a ton of bricks" #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:46 am   Expressions "like a ton of bricks"

.
Heavily.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
When do you use management and Management?How to translate suck it up in this sentence?meaning of lackKnock your socks off? What does that mean?How to understand "Knock the pins out from"?What's the knee-jerk reaction?What is the difference between rely on and trust me?difference between wrong and falseWhat's the kindered spirit? Does the "kindered" come from kind?What does probably mean?some idiomatic expressions of failure and successprevent vs postponeWhat does 'accure' mean?