describing an asset or item which can easily be sold or transferred
compatible
substantial
negotiable
comforting

Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

some idiomatic expressions of failure and success | Expressions "like a ton of bricks"
Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg? #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 0:41 am   Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

The head Research and Development technician had been fired last week for radically changing the product design of the company's leading product at the last moment without permission. The change was not for the better. The last comment from the boss before the technician was lead out of the building was, "Thanks for killing the ......... that laid the golden egg."

(a) cow
(b) mongoose
(c) goose
(d) snake

The head Research and Development technician had been fired last week for radically changing the product design of the company's leading product at the last moment without permission. The change was not for the better. The last comment from the boss before the technician was lead out of the building was, "Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg."

Correct answer: (c) goose
_________________________

Do gooses lay the golgen eggs?
Xavierka

Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg? #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:46 am   Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

Hi Xavierka

The idiomatic expression in the test is "kill the goose that lays the golden egg(s)". It means to ruin something that is valuable or good for you, usually by being greedy. The expression probably comes from one of Aesop's Fables:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goose_that_Laid_the_Golden_Eggs

Do gooses lay the golden eggs?
The plural form of the noun "goose" is "geese".
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg? #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:46 am   Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

Hi Torsten

This test has a misspelling in the last sentence:

The past participle of the verb "to lead" is "led". Thus, the last sentence should be changed:

"The last comment from the boss before the technician was led out of the building ..."
.
_________________

Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg? #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:34 am   Thanks for killing the goose that laid the golden egg?

Hi Amy,

Thanks for pointing out that mistake -- I'll get fixed soon.

TOEIC listening, talks: Sports club executive introduces new basketball coach

When do you use management and Management?meaning of lackKnock your socks off? What does that mean?How to understand "Knock the pins out from"?What's the knee-jerk reaction?What is the difference between rely on and trust me?difference between wrong and falseWhat's the kindered spirit? Does the "kindered" come from kind?Idiomatic phrase "learn and tell"What does probably mean?prevent vs postponeWhat does 'accure' mean?Why we can't use here 'consider' because both think and consider give us...?