annually
yearly
previously
ultimately
minutely

How to learn English grammar?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Please help me about this situation. | Are You Planning to move to U.S/Canada for higher studies or business
How to learn English grammar? #61 (permalink) Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:09 am   How to learn English grammar?

Sir,
What is the different between below two sentences pl let me know with detail

"I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."
and
I didn't want to hurt your feelings.
1426in

How to learn English grammar? #62 (permalink) Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:14 am   How to learn English grammar?

The first sentence could be used when the listener felt unhappy about your statement, but you did not intend it to hurt his feelings at all.

The second sentence could be used when the listener felt unhappy about your statement, but you did not expect it to hurt his feelings.

Let's hope that the moderators clarify it further.
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
How to learn English grammar? #63 (permalink) Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:17 am   How to learn English grammar?

Hello, Torsten. I wonder what's the difference between "except" and "except for"?
Susannazq

Except & Except for #64 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:56 am   Except & Except for

Except means excluding
eg. I walk for half an hour every day except Sunday.

Except for means everything excluding what is specifically mentioned
eg. The novel is worth reading except for its last chapter.

I hope the expressions stand distinguished.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

How to learn English grammar? #65 (permalink) Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:55 am   How to learn English grammar?

hi tortens,
Could you help me to explain the sentence: I will rock you.
Thanks so much
Hanh9

How to learn English grammar? #66 (permalink) Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:40 am   How to learn English grammar?

Without any context, I have to presume that it means I will gently move you to and fro or from side to side, as you would with a baby:
she rocked the baby in her arms until he fell asleep.
_________________

How to learn English grammar? #67 (permalink) Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:06 am   How to learn English grammar?

Hi, Can we have sentence with Good example of ( With using Article and Modals)
Hjoshi5

How to learn English grammar? #68 (permalink) Mon Oct 17, 2011 13:53 pm   How to learn English grammar?

hi all,I've a question "what is the meaning of abstract verbs?"
Waves

Location: In The World

How to learn English grammar? #69 (permalink) Mon Oct 17, 2011 14:17 pm   How to learn English grammar?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/abstract_verb

TOEIC short conversations: Discussing rents

How to learn English grammar? #70 (permalink) Mon Oct 17, 2011 17:11 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Waves wrote:

I doubt whether we categorize verbs as abstract or concrete. Nouns may broadly be classified as concrete and abstract. Abstract nouns are those that cannot be perceived by sight, touch etc. They have no physical existence. For instance: anxiety, anger, patience, kindness, knowledge and so on. Concrete nouns, on the other hand, are table, pen, book, umbrella, earth etc.

We have stative verbs (such as those that do not denote any activity) like be, become, have etc. Verbs may have these kinds: primary & secondary, transitive & intransitive, finite & non-finite, modal auxiliaries & main verbs, infinitives & gerunds, active progressive participles & passive perfective participles etc.

However, let us see if the language coaches are able to throw more light on this question.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

How to learn English grammar? #71 (permalink) Mon Oct 17, 2011 18:00 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Hjoshi5 wrote:

Why not? See here: The woman I met in the park yesterday was a smart lady. She said she would soon present a paper at the university on how foreign students, who might like to master English, should try to learn the language.

I hope you recognise the and a as articles, and would, might and should as modals, don't you?
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

How to learn English grammar? #72 (permalink) Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:45 am   How to learn English grammar?

There is no short cut way to learn a language. It comes to you gradually.
Communicating, comprehending, reading, writing activities, listening exercises...... all improve your language. Ask questions; take a topic and write about it. Read a lot of books, you will get some standard expressions. While writing take care about your grammar, punctuations and vocabulary. Try to write and communicate naturally, don't exert yourself. You have many sources to clarify your doubts, don't hesitate from doing it. One day, you will surely be proud of your language.
Jennifer Garner

How to learn English grammar? #73 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:56 am   How to learn English grammar?

Hello, sir Torsten.
My name is Robert Fimbo, I hopefully today is a great day for me to reach this stage I mean that to be able to submit my first test in the forum location lesson 7 simple present tense. The question was to build some sentences in the simple present tense.
1) My name is Robert Fimbo and I live in Mosney Accommodation Centre in the Republic of Ireland. I keen interest improving my English communication skills and grammar with my best friend's who is name Natalie Mundeke. We both live in the same address as indicate in the first sentence in hope to achieve our goals for a better future in the Irish community or society.
Molo

Location: Drc

How to learn English grammar? #74 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:34 am   How to learn English grammar?

If you want to make yourself as a fastest learner in grammar, I think you must follow
this book from now on with this present web site:

"Better English" by Norman Lewis an American writer. For me this web site is good
to meet some best people from around the world.

This suggestion is to those who are really keen to learn grammar otherwise just
omit my comments. More books are here:

http://quazisstepinenglishgrammar.wordpress.com/about-the-author/
_________________
Quazi,(47) an educationist, writer, thinker,& humanist for over 30 years.
Minhajquazi

Location: Dhaka

How to learn English grammar? #75 (permalink) Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Hello, sir Torsten.
I don't get it why am I in hurry to answer or to message my test to forum location before been introduce myself for the due error I apology for it?
My name is Robert Fimbo. Born and raised in Kinshasa capital city of Democratic Republic of Congo I'am 42 my nationality I'am Congolese currently I live in Mosney Accommodation Centre, Julianstown, County Meath in the Republic of Ireland.
Molo

Location: Drc

I need netive speaker's help.My another Hero, Jose MourinhoEnglish is Gold, so ETN is Gold?Was/Were born vs. Are bornHow to deal with the bullies.Is Cleopatra Egytian?When you happen to do business,When you happen to think, you are big.May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Daysuppose that you are stuck in a bad situationDo you like talking to foreign people who are learning English?Hello.everyone~I have a question .Eurovision