of or pertaining to the law; allowed by law
consistent
general
legal
bankrupt

How to learn English grammar?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Please help me about this situation. | Are You Planning to move to U.S/Canada for higher studies or business
How to learn English grammar? #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:47 pm   How to learn English grammar?

So many people have asked me this one single question: How can I learn English grammar? Well, learning English grammar is rather simple but it certainly is not easy. For all of you who are looking for 'the perfect method', you should start by reading How to learn English grammar?

Please let me know what you think.
Many thanks,

TOEIC listening, talks: School authority official announces cancellation of after-school programs because of bad weather

How to learn English grammar? #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 09, 2008 15:58 pm   How to learn English grammar?

The article certainly helps in making it clear that grammar isn't something which should frighten us.
I spotted what I consider a minor error:
On our site we have a wealth of different multiple choice tests, texts and stories which show grammar in context. Those two words are I want to stress in context.

The second sentence needs a little rearrangement of words, such as: 'Those are two words I want to stress - in context.'

Ravindra U. Rao
Ravirao

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
How to learn English grammar? #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 09, 2008 17:17 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Dear Ravindra,

Welcome to english-test.net and many thanks for sharing your opinion on that sentence. The sentence is fine as it is and yours would work too. However, if you change the word order as you suggested, the meaning of the sentence slightly changes.

TOEIC listening, talks: A business person tells his clients that he will be late for an appointment

How to learn English grammar? #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 11, 2008 23:37 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Well, at first, I read couple things on this forum, and mr. Torsten, thanks for helping people to learn english more and more, and thanks for introducting in best way to do that.

I'm also very intrested to learn grammar as more as possible, but I think that it's not thing that we should learn certainly.
I think that we can learn grammar in comunication, listening audio tapes, watching some video things, reading books, and so on...and grammar will come.

Best regards.
Believer

How to learn English grammar? #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 03, 2008 14:43 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Hello Mr. Torsten,

I was reading some story and found some time using I were and they were, for my information that correct on they were can you explain for me Please!
Makram
Makram145

How to learn English grammar? #6 (permalink) Wed Dec 03, 2008 15:17 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Hi Markam, please take a look at the following examples:
If I were you I would sell that car.
Yesterday they were talking to their parents when they suddenly heard a gunshot ring out in their neighborhood.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social science class

How to learn English grammar? #7 (permalink) Thu Dec 25, 2008 22:38 pm   How to learn English grammar?

hi....
can u help me about compound noun...especially related to the phone answering...like when we answer the phone..is it *answer up*..or another term related to phone just like hang up the phone, pick up the phone...etc that are common term used...and can u please explain the meaning detaily?
Kerina

Location: Indonesia

How to learn English grammar? #8 (permalink) Fri Dec 26, 2008 19:51 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Hello Kerina,

We do not use "answer up".
You can use these expressions, for example:

answer the phone
hang up the phone
dial a phone number
make/place a call
call someone up
put someone on hold
connect someone to/with someone (else)
put someone through (to someone else)
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

How to learn English grammar? #9 (permalink) Fri Dec 26, 2008 20:07 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Torsten wrote:
Dear Ravindra,

Hello Torsten
You need to take a closer look at the sentence in question. It is not fine as it is, and Ravindra's suggestion was certainly an appropriate one. If you don't like Ravindra's idea, another possibility would be to add the word "what" between the words "are" and "I". :wink:
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

How to learn English grammar? #10 (permalink) Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:12 am   How to learn English grammar?

So what exactly is wrong with Alan's sentence, ESL Expert?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Sky diving

How to learn English grammar? #11 (permalink) Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:45 am   How to learn English grammar?

I suggest: Those are (the) two words I want to stress - in context.

_________________

How to learn English grammar? #12 (permalink) Fri Jan 02, 2009 21:11 pm   How to learn English grammar?

ti is very good really u help me more about grammer

thx
King44

Location: Saudi arabia

How to learn English grammar? #13 (permalink) Fri Jan 09, 2009 21:30 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Hi TorstenAlan,

Can the sentence - 'Those two words are I want to stress in context.' be rewritten as

'Those two words are, I want to stress, in context.'?

I guess the two commas help retain the meaning while making it clear to the reader where to pause. I am curious to know whether this is correct.
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

How to learn English grammar? #14 (permalink) Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:20 am   How to learn English grammar?

Alan might be the most gifted grammarian I've encountered... even though he hates commas and does not understand that "they" is the PLURAL third-person pronoun and "their" is the plural third-person possessive pronoun... and, as such, should not be paired with singular subjects/objects.

He knows this (he and my girl Amy), I trust -- they know the grammatical logic against singular subject/plural pronoun coupling -- so I figure he and amy simply choose to persist in the sake of pissing off the purists.

;-)

hehe
_________________
Billie Jean is not my lover. Hee.
Prezbucky

Location: Nashville, TN (USA)

How to learn English grammar? #15 (permalink) Wed Jan 14, 2009 22:20 pm   How to learn English grammar?

Hi, Torsten. I am new here . I like english language . I can write words i know much wordS but I can't speak. I have many friends from the all world but i am worry talk with them. I hope that I study english here . I really hope that i need help from all . Sorry if I have mistake . I hope you unserstand me. Congratulations for this.
Doca83

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
I need netive speaker's help.My another Hero, Jose MourinhoEnglish is Gold, so ETN is Gold?Was/Were born vs. Are bornHow to deal with the bullies.Is Cleopatra Egytian?When you happen to do business,When you happen to think, you are big.May 31: Today Is World No Tobacco Daysuppose that you are stuck in a bad situationDo you like talking to foreign people who are learning English?Hello.everyone~I have a question .Eurovision