to adapt oneself; to host guests; to provide lodging
accommodate
prize
pose
slip

"come up with" vs "come across"

Meaning of slumber | What does 'bring forward' mean?
"come up with" vs "come across" #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 16:29 pm   "come up with" vs "come across"

ESL/EFL Test #139 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'come'", question 9

It was reported that the Government is expected to ......... stringent norms to prevent "predatory takeovers" of Indian private banks.

(a) come along
(b) come up with
(c) come across
(d) come out

ESL/EFL Test #139 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'come'", answer 9

It was reported that the Government is expected to come up with stringent norms to prevent "predatory takeovers" of Indian private banks.

Correct answer: (b) come up with
_________________________

come across?

Lita
Lita

"come up with" vs "come across" #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 17:15 pm   "come up with" vs "come across"

The correct answer in the test sentence is "come up with".

The expression "come across" has several meanings:
come across
a. Also, come upon. to find or encounter, esp. by chance:
I came across this picture when I was cleaning out the attic.
We suddenly came upon a deer while walking in the woods.

b. Informal. to make good one's promise, as to pay a debt, do what is expected, etc.:
to come across with the rent.

c. to be understandable or convincing:
The moral of this story doesn't come across.

d. Informal. to make a particular impression; comport oneself:
She comes across as a very cold person.

Source.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
"come up with" vs "come across" #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 20:22 pm   "come up with" vs "come across"

Yankee wrote:
to make good one's promise.

Hi, Amy

Do you use both expressions: make good on one's promise and make good one's promise? And is there any shade of difference between them?

Many thanks !

"come up with" vs "come across" #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:42 pm   "come up with" vs "come across"

Good question, Alex.

I'd say there is no difference in AmE other than it sounds a little more formal (and thus less common) to me without the preposition "on".
.
_________________

"come up with" vs "come across" #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 11, 2008 0:44 am   "come up with" vs "come across"

Hello Teachers

What does the phrase "come up with" mean in this sentence?

Thank you
_________________
Reach an agreement as ploughing, don't let argument happen at crops.
Thunu

Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam

"come up with" vs "come across" #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:15 am   "come up with" vs "come across"

It means to create, formulate, or design a set of rules and regulations.
_________________
Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
***
Did you hear they arrested the Energizer Bunny on battery charges?
***
Skrej

Location: Not-quite exact central USA

"come up with" vs "come across" #7 (permalink) Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:08 am   "come up with" vs "come across"

It was reported that the Government is expected to come up with..=the expecting by Government is still current, that's why: 'the Government is expected' after: 'It was reported'?

Can it be also with the sequence of tenses after: 'It was reported' without the change of meaning:
It was reported that the Government was expected to come up with...= the expecting is still current, but there is only change: 'is expected' to 'was expected' according to the rule of sequence of tenses?

thank you very much

"come up with" vs "come across" #8 (permalink) Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:23 am   "come up with" vs "come across"

The best way to look at this is to note that there was a report and in that report the Government is expected to propose something.

_________________

he packs a mean punchAmerican management is very results drivenredundancywhat is the difference?What's the meaning of bring back?Meaning of "bring off"Phrase "Are you going to wait any longer"Meaning of "bring over" and "bring to"Could OR can?What vs. whichThe meaning of the verb "to come by"Smash, crash, clash, hashMeaning of 'znooze'