Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to take a cruise; to travel; to make a journey
import
refund
voyage
plant
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What are knock-down drag out fights?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does jinx mean? | What is the difference between 'bug me' and 'tug me'?
listening exercises
What are knock-down drag out fights? #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 19:24 pm   What are knock-down drag out fights?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #459 "English Slang Idioms (201)", question 1

He hadn't slept in a week. His neighbors had been having .........-down drag out fights every night and they were not quiet about it.

(a) wipe
(b) slap
(c) knock
(d) dress

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #459 "English Slang Idioms (201)", answer 1

He hadn't slept in a week. His neighbors had been having knock-down drag out fights every night and they were not quiet about it.

Correct answer: (c) knock

blood knock can you tell me what this means
Randy

What are knock-down drag out fights? #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:58 pm   What are knock-down drag out fights?

Hello,
This expression means "marked by extreme violence; having to do with fighting; also used figuratively as fierce or intense contests/competitions; a knock-down-and-drag-out fight."
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What are knock-down drag out fights? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 23:12 pm   What are knock-down drag out fights?

Hi Linda

Don't you think the entire idiom (adjective) should be hyphenated in the test sentence?

Webster's provides two alternatives:
- knock-down, drag-out
- knock-down-and-drag-out
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knock-down-drag-out

Cambridge provides only one:
- knock-down-drag-out
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=knock.down.drag.out*1+0&dict=I

Dictionary.com lists all three of those options:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=knock-down-drag-out&r=66

For me, the bare minimum here would be to at least add the hyphen in "drag-out".

What are knock-down drag out fights? #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 06, 2008 23:55 pm   What are knock-down drag out fights?

Yes, that sounds good. Hyphens are subjective at times but I like the idea in this case.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

What does jinx mean? | What is the difference between 'bug me' and 'tug me'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "nerd and wimp"Can't you leave well enough alone = don't mention the thing again?surrendered vs. desertedIt was a direct consequence of his failure?What does 'benched' mean?Left to my own devices?When do you use management and Management?How to translate suck it up in this sentence?meaning of lackKnock your socks off? What does that mean?How to understand "Knock the pins out from"?What's the knee-jerk reaction?What is the difference between rely on and trust me?