Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

trade; business; transactions; exchange of products/services and money
quality
search
pitch
commerce
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Idiom: 'let your hair down' | The usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day'
listening exercises
By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth #1 (permalink) Tue May 10, 2005 9:01 am   By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth

Test No. express/advan-12 "Splitting Hairs", question 10

They were very lucky they didn't get themselves killed because they came within a hair's breadth of falling down the mountain.

(a) very near to
(b) very nearer to
(c) very nearly to
(d) very next to

Test No. express/advan-12 "Splitting Hairs", answer 10

They were very lucky they didn't get themselves killed because they came very near to falling down the mountain.

Correct answer: (a) very near to

Your answer was: correct

Does "within" have a special meaning because I've thought it is "by a hair's breadth"?

By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth #2 (permalink) Tue May 10, 2005 9:54 am   By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth

There is a slight difference in meaning between by a hair's breadth and within a hair's breadth. Please look at these two examples to see what I mean:

The Australian aborigines missed extinction by a hair's breadth.

They were very lucky they didn't get themselves killed because they came within a hair's breadth of falling down the mountain.

In the first sentence the aborigines just managed to avoid extinction.
The people in the second sentence were very close to danger.

So, you come/are within a hair's breadth of something and you miss/escape/avoid something by a hair's breadth.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A military base
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:28 am   By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth

Maybe it would be digressed from the point of the test, but I would like to know what the difference is between 'near to' and 'close to' in a similar situation as the sentence.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:40 am   By a hair's breadth vs. within a hair's breadth

Hi,

It is slightly disgressing from the point but never mind. Both expressions refer to degrees of proximity. Possibly 'close to' is nearer to 'near to' in meaning if you follow me. Let me give you two sentences:

They leave near to one another in the same street.

They were sitting close to one another, side by side.

A
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Idiom: 'let your hair down' | The usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Meaning of headwayReliable vs. patientMeaning of "Make up"Idiom: 'to push your luck'Business class vs. business parkWhy 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?The auxiliary verb "have" and the past (-ed) participleComma after "late": She's always late, isn't she?It happened yesterday didn't it?Shall vs. shouldIdiom: "to call it a day"Idiom: to see eye to eye