newsreader; broadcaster
inquiry
reinforcement
mail
anchor

meaning of "write off"

What's the meaning of "to be dead on one's back? | What is a sense of reliability?
meaning of "write off" #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 21, 2008 13:32 pm   meaning of "write off"

"We are going to have to write off our new cellular phone as a ......... loss. We believed that customers would be willing to pay for a phone that was also a hand-warmer but we were wrong. We had an effective marketing campaign but the price of this extra feature is inhibitive and the hand-warming function depletes the phone's batteries at an alarming rate, rendering the phone dead after a mere five minutes," Bill told management.

(a) profit
(b) dead
(c) hopeless
(d) sure

"We are going to have to write off our new cellular phone as a dead loss. We believed that customers would be willing to pay for a phone that was also a hand-warmer but we were wrong. We had an effective marketing campaign but the price of this extra feature is inhibitive and the hand-warming function depletes the phone's batteries at an alarming rate, rendering the phone dead after a mere five minutes," Bill told management.

Correct answer: (b) dead
_________________________

I don't understand the meaning of "write off" would you mind helping me?

Laurah
Laurah

Write off #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 22, 2008 19:51 pm   Write off

Hello Laurah,
A common write-off relates to accounts that show that a company has lost money (customers didn't pay their bills etc.) In other words, to consider an amount as an expense or a loss.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
heartache vs heartthrobmeaning of medievalMeaning of assetsmeaning of sheerWhat does 'bump into' mean?Difference between what and would?Is "bottom" a noun or adjective?What does turnover mean?what is the meaning of suite?It means Enterprise Resource Planning.Expression: He is the king of the castleWhat does 'cracks' mean?Getting the hang of things?