approach; entry; permission to enter a computer system or network and/or retrieve data
pointer
access
ability
shipping

What seems to be the trouble?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Difference between match and suit | 'make a request' vs. 'make a demand'
What seems to be the trouble? #1 (permalink) Thu May 12, 2005 1:53 am   What seems to be the trouble?

Test No. incompl/elem-21 "Remove the Spoon", question 1

What ......... to be the trouble?

(a) ought
(b) looks
(c) seems
(d) tries

Test No. incompl/elem-21 "Remove the Spoon", answer 1

What seems to be the trouble?

Correct answer: (c) seems

What ought to be the trouble?
_________________________

What ought to be the trouble? why isn't it seems to rather than ought?

Baljinder Singh
Baljinder Singh

Ought to #2 (permalink) Thu May 12, 2005 10:58 am   Ought to

Please take a look at these examples to understand the meaning of the modal verb ought to:

You really ought to prepare for your exam.
These questions ought to be answered as fast as possible.

As you can see we use ought to either to express a strong suggestion or even an obligation or when something has to be done.
In the sentence you are referring to there is a problem and the speaker wants to know the reason for it. Instead of What seems to the trouble? you can also say: What is the problem?

TOEIC listening, photographs: Crossing a bridge

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What ought to be the trouble? #3 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2007 6:50 am   What ought to be the trouble?

is there such an expression "what looks to be the trouble"?
Seanmen

What ought to be the trouble? #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:24 am   What ought to be the trouble?

I don't quite understood what does mean this question "What ......... to be the trouble?" itself.
Oh. Yeah. I like your courses so much and my work is stuck by this reason :D. I think I will get good result with you.
Thank you very much.
Margareth.
Margareth

What ought to be the trouble? #5 (permalink) Mon May 18, 2009 5:56 am   What ought to be the trouble?

What different of looks and seems. When we use looks and when we use seems? thank you
Lena Raing

What ought to be the trouble? #6 (permalink) Fri May 22, 2009 6:08 am   What ought to be the trouble?

"what looks to be the trouble"? NO, this is not used, but you could say;

" What appears to be the trouble/problem?
_________________

What ought to be the trouble? #7 (permalink) Fri May 22, 2009 6:14 am   What ought to be the trouble?

Good morning Lena. There is a not a great deal of difference. Only in the way it is spoken.

What different of looks and seems. When we use looks and when we use seems? thank you.

" It looks like the weather is about to worsen."
" It seems like the weather is worsening."

" He doesn't look too happy in his new job."
" He doesn't seem to be too happy with his new job."
_________________

What ought to be the trouble? #8 (permalink) Fri Jul 17, 2009 15:12 pm   What ought to be the trouble?

I just love your tests! They are so funny!
Thanks!
Penuel

Location: Uzbekistan

Just a question! #9 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 9:46 am   Just a question!

Hi Dear Kitosdad,

What's the difference between a "Coach" and a "Communicator"? (of course on this website and of course if it's not a too private question).

By the way I wanted to say to all coaches an all communcators, that I appreciate very much their work and their patience to help people to learn a language for free and by spending their time!

1000 thanks

Shahboraz
Shahboraz

What seems to be the trouble? #10 (permalink) Fri Jul 09, 2010 21:06 pm   What seems to be the trouble?

What is the different between seems and looks?
Zene

Just a question! #11 (permalink) Sat Jul 10, 2010 0:19 am   Just a question!

Shahboraz wrote:
Hi Dear Kitosdad,

The language coaches are the forum moderators.
'I'm a communicator' is the rating which is automatically assigned to all members who have made a certain number of posts.
_________________

What seems to be the trouble? #12 (permalink) Sat Jul 10, 2010 0:21 am   What seems to be the trouble?

Zene wrote:

"What is the difference between..."

Take this example:

It seems strange.
It looks strange.

The first sentence indicates that there is something strange about 'it', but we do not know what the strange thing is without further context. It might be appearance (looks) or it might be something else.
The second sentence clearly indicates that it is the appearance which is strange,
_________________

What seems to be the trouble? #13 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:23 am   What seems to be the trouble?

Hi Torsten,

I'm happy to be introduced to the grammar lessons links like "remove the spoon". I think the lesson-20 and the next lessons would be of much benefit to me. I am realizing that I've to put more attention and time to cover the contexts of the lessons in full. And if I do so my daily time sparing for learning English would be quite a few hours. Well, I'll spare that amount of time, and I'm going to be enriched proportionately. It's a 'give and take' situation.

By this time I learnt how to go to the explanation links of my error checking. And I found the explanations there are very lively and full of interactions. If I can manage time to check the explanation links I'll be deriving benefits very fast. Not only the error checking, even by checking the explanations of correct answers would further deepen my grammar knowledge.

Best regards,

Mujibur
_________________
I'm trying to be consistent in learning the English language skills.
Mujibur

Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh

What seems to be the trouble? #14 (permalink) Tue Sep 07, 2010 17:56 pm   What seems to be the trouble?

Hellow Kitosdad.
I would like your Example much more.please
Khosit

Re: What ought to be the trouble? #15 (permalink) Tue Nov 30, 2010 15:21 pm   Re: What ought to be the trouble?

I answered "seems". I don't know why when I click 'explanation", it said i was wrong because I answered "ought". I think there is problem here.
Ngocoanhvn

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
My Friend doesnt understand how to make a sentence !What is a school transcript?insidious creaturesTest incompl/inter-193, User's Answer 10This text needs corrections - waiting for some help and commentslong and hardDoubt on graduateBirthday partyWhat does 'thaw' mean?they are not indigenoustraverse the world.the horrendous bedbugWhat does insidious mean?