to advance beyond proper limits; to infringe
augment
stall
promote
encroach

"How do you know?" vs "How do you realize?"

What does 'hit the papers' mean? | Meaning of 'As a matter of fact'
"How do you know?" vs "How do you realize?" #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 16:44 pm   "How do you know?" vs "How do you realize?"

ESL/EFL Test #86 "Simple Present (3)", question 9

The conversation went as follows: "I hear you live in this village, too" -- "How do you .........?" asked Andrew.

(a) discover
(b) find
(c) know
(d) realise

ESL/EFL Test #86 "Simple Present (3)", answer 9

The conversation went as follows: "I hear you live in this village, too" -- "How do you know?" asked Andrew.

Correct answer: (c) know
_________________________

What I can state about this question is that "I was a little bit confused".The responce must be"c"; however "d" is possible.

hasangoktepe
hasangoktepe

"How do you know?" vs "How do you realize?" #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 17:30 pm   "How do you know?" vs "How do you realize?"

you can see the different meanings between them .
"know " is used to indicate that you have information about something .
"realise " is used to indicate that you suddenly understand essence , law , attribute etc of something . You "realise" something by yourself mainly .

so , in this situation , c is the answer . ;)
Giang93

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
'never' vs 'not ever'Phrase: I have ever once visited the countryThe important factor vs. the important thing?No future in pursuing that sort of discussion?What does 'to hang out together' mean?Let's start with the difference between 'in' and 'into'?heartache vs heartthrobmeaning of medievalMeaning of assetsmeaning of sheerWhat does pip-pot mean?difference between travelled and trippedWhat does this idiom mean: to show your hand very often?