distant part of the sea visible from the shore; remote place far from the shore; high seas
offing
traffic
hem
mood

The important factor vs. the important thing?

What does 'to hang out together' mean? | What does pip-pot mean?
The important factor vs. the important thing? #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:59 am   The important factor vs. the important thing?

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Postcard: Job", question 10

But the really important ......... is that she is the boss's daughter.

(a) factor
(b) thing
(c) idea

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Postcard: Job", answer 10

But the really important thing is that she is the boss's daughter.

Correct answer: (b) thing

But the really important factor is that she is the boss's daughter.
_________________________

Why "Factor" is not chosen over "thing", It too fits in the sentence.

HELP!!
Ceo Neeraj

The important factor vs. the important thing? #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:09 pm   The important factor vs. the important thing?

In this test the language is very informal -conversational. Although 'factor' fits, as you say, it's not appropriate in this context. 'Factor' would be used in a formal/serious discussion as in: The important factor to remember when buying a car is whether to choose a diesel or petrol engine.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'slip up' mean?Energy efficiency vs economic efficiency?Christmas cards is it "The Smiths" or "The Smith's"Can't play ostrich?'never' vs 'not ever'Phrase: I have ever once visited the countryNo future in pursuing that sort of discussion?"How do you know?" vs "How do you realize?"Phrase: You could tell by the way he refused...Let's start with the difference between 'in' and 'into'?What does 'hit the papers' mean?Meaning of 'As a matter of fact'What does this idiom mean: to show your hand very often?