Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

contrarily
necessarily
clearly
regularly
opposite
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "from the word go"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "Make up" | Meaning of headway
listening exercises
Meaning of "from the word go" #1 (permalink) Sun May 15, 2005 20:37 pm   Meaning of "from the word go"

Test No. express/advan-14 "Word of Mouth", question 7

From the word go we could tell at the interview she was the ideal candidate for the job.

(a) Quickly
(b) Suddenly
(c) Straightaway
(d) Clearly

Test No. express/advan-14 "Word of Mouth", answer 7

Straightaway we could tell at the interview she was the ideal candidate for the job.

Correct answer: (c) Straightaway

meaning of "from the word go"

Gabi
Gabi

Straightaway #2 (permalink) Sun May 15, 2005 20:54 pm   Straightaway

This expression from the word go means immediately.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "from the word go" #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:44 am   Meaning of "from the word go"

Hi Alan,

I chose d) because I thought from the word go = from the begining and if it were so only d) could be the right choice. Could you explain for me why the idiom could mean immediately as well?

Thank you.
haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of "from the word go" #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:40 am   Meaning of "from the word go"

D (Clearly) does not mean 'from the beginning' or 'from the word go', Haihao. Clearly means without doubt or question.

from the word go: from the start, as in 'I've had trouble with this computer from the word go'. This expression probably alludes to the start of a race, signaled by the word go. [Early 1800s] For a synonym, see 'from scratch'. (Am Heritage Dict.)

Straightaway and immediately also mean 'from the beginning' in the sense of 'directly upon the start of e.g. interview' (as here).

Meaning of "from the word go" #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:04 am   Meaning of "from the word go"

Thank you, Mister Micawber, for your interpretation, especially the derivation of the idiom, which is always what I want to know badly.

haihao
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of "from the word go" #6 (permalink) Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:10 am   Meaning of "from the word go"

Hi,

Just to add another point to what has already been said by MM at the start of a race the runners in the race receive the following information: Ready, steady, go!
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of "Make up" | Meaning of headway
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of ramblingWould it be allright if the 'whatever the times' were 'at any time'?Could "a bit thick" go as far as more than I could stand?Idiom: As thick as two short planksWhy not the "start of something bad"?Why we have to use "which" in this sentence?Difference between 'target costing' and 'standard costing'Reliable vs. patientIdiom: 'to push your luck'Business class vs. business parkThe usual adverb (noun) for 'the night of the present day'Idiom: 'let your hair down'Why 'reaction' isn't suitable here? What's "structural value"?