Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

intensely; in an extreme manner; severely
drastically
comparatively
primarily
counter
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Make up your mind? | What does as large as life mean?
listening exercises
What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers? #1 (permalink) Sun May 15, 2005 21:13 pm   What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

Test No. errors/advan-3 "The audience went wild", question 4

Since the frontiers between different countries have almost stopped having any importance, nobody bothers to control your passport.

(a) frontiers
(b) stopped
(c) any
(d) control

Test No. errors/advan-3 "The audience went wild", answer 4

Since the frontiers between different countries have almost stopped having any importance, nobody bothers to check your passport.

Correct entry: check
The error was: (d) control

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

roy mustang
roy mustang

Passport #2 (permalink) Sun May 15, 2005 21:19 pm   Passport

This document (PASSPORT) is sometimes checked when you cross the frontier between one country and another.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Passport #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 02, 2005 0:56 am   Passport

Alan wrote:
This document (PASSPORT) is sometimes checked when you cross the frontier between one country and another.

can the passport be supervised?
me

Supervise #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:16 am   Supervise

This has the meaning of manage in the sense of be in charge of. You can therefore manage/supervise activities and you can also manage/supervise people to see that they are working properly. A supervisor is someone who manages other people. But you would not supervise a static object such as a passport.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Is "to examine" alternative for "to check&quo #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 30, 2005 21:31 pm   Is "to examine" alternative for "to check&quo

Here, I used "examine" instead of "check". Is "examine" an option or "check" is the only word to use in this case.
Thank you beforehand.

Examine vs. check #6 (permalink) Sat Dec 31, 2005 15:36 pm   Examine vs. check

Hi Zahir,

Examine means to inspect something very carefully. If somebody examines your passport they might use a special optical device and the whole process might take a substantial amount of time.
Check implies that it can be done by just carefully looking at the object and this is what usually happens to your passport at the border.
Happy New Year,
Tosten

TOEIC listening, question-response: What do you think of our new manager?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Check your passport #7 (permalink) Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:01 pm   Check your passport

What is the difference between frontiers and borders? I thought the latter is used in the context of countries....are those terms synonymous?
Samesame

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers? #8 (permalink) Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:28 am   What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

Hi, My kind teachers,
Are there any differences between "border" and "frontier"?
Hoamuahe
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers? #9 (permalink) Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 am   What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

yes I also thought frontier was the correct answer. I didnt know it can be used synonymous to border.
Cenkee

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers? #10 (permalink) Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:57 am   What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

70 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

The main difference is that a frontier is usually between two countries and often involves some kind of documentation. 'Border' is more general and can often refer to a geographical or administrative division between countries. For example in the UK there is a border between England and Scotland as there are different administrative procedures between the two countries but there is no requirement for a passport.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Make up your mind? | What does as large as life mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
BananaBotanical experts believe this story to be just a fable, suggesting its origin toCan you help me to translate some sentence?word "miniature" pronounce little bit same same with the word "mangrinning photographersthe exciting day of departurepropagating in a rich soila voluntary redundancy packageWhat is a medicine cabinet?make vs. doDefine: "a course of swimming lessons"Meaning of underling and underbellyMeaning of appreciation