intensely; in an extreme manner; severely
drastically
comparatively
primarily
counter

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

Make up your mind? | What does as large as life mean?
What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers? #1 (permalink) Sun May 15, 2005 21:13 pm   What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

Test No. errors/advan-3 "The audience went wild", question 4

Since the frontiers between different countries have almost stopped having any importance, nobody bothers to control your passport.

(a) frontiers
(b) stopped
(c) any
(d) control

Test No. errors/advan-3 "The audience went wild", answer 4

Since the frontiers between different countries have almost stopped having any importance, nobody bothers to check your passport.

Correct entry: check
The error was: (d) control
_________________________

roy mustang
roy mustang

Passport #2 (permalink) Sun May 15, 2005 21:19 pm   Passport

This document (PASSPORT) is sometimes checked when you cross the frontier between one country and another.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Passport #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 02, 2005 0:56 am   Passport

can the passport be supervised?
me

Supervise #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:16 am   Supervise

This has the meaning of manage in the sense of be in charge of. You can therefore manage/supervise activities and you can also manage/supervise people to see that they are working properly. A supervisor is someone who manages other people. But you would not supervise a static object such as a passport.
_________________

Is "to examine" alternative for "to check&quo #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 30, 2005 21:31 pm   Is "to examine" alternative for "to check&quo

Here, I used "examine" instead of "check". Is "examine" an option or "check" is the only word to use in this case.
Thank you beforehand.
_________________
Learning is a sacred engagement.
Ahmadov

Location: Azerbaijan

Examine vs. check #6 (permalink) Sat Dec 31, 2005 15:36 pm   Examine vs. check

Hi Zahir,

Examine means to inspect something very carefully. If somebody examines your passport they might use a special optical device and the whole process might take a substantial amount of time.
Check implies that it can be done by just carefully looking at the object and this is what usually happens to your passport at the border.
Happy New Year,
Tosten

TOEIC listening, question-response: What do you think of our new manager?

Check your passport #7 (permalink) Tue Dec 23, 2008 17:01 pm   Check your passport

What is the difference between frontiers and borders? I thought the latter is used in the context of countries....are those terms synonymous?
Samesame

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers? #8 (permalink) Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:28 am   What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

Hi, My kind teachers,
Are there any differences between "border" and "frontier"?
Hoamuahe

Location: Qui nhon, binh dinh, Viet Nam

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers? #9 (permalink) Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 am   What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

yes I also thought frontier was the correct answer. I didnt know it can be used synonymous to border.
Cenkee

Location: Ankara

What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers? #10 (permalink) Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:57 am   What does your "passport" have to do with frontiers?

The main difference is that a frontier is usually between two countries and often involves some kind of documentation. 'Border' is more general and can often refer to a geographical or administrative division between countries. For example in the UK there is a border between England and Scotland as there are different administrative procedures between the two countries but there is no requirement for a passport.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

BananaBotanical experts believe this story to be just a fable, suggesting its origin toCan you help me to translate some sentence?word "miniature" pronounce little bit same same with the word "mangrinning photographersthe exciting day of departurepropagating in a rich soila voluntary redundancy packageWhat is a medicine cabinet?make vs. doDefine: "a course of swimming lessons"Meaning of underling and underbellyMeaning of appreciation