Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

overhead; over; in a higher place
regularly
randomly
sincerely
above
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Paying back with your own coin?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
earth vs heck | decide vs. select
listening exercises
Paying back with your own coin? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 01, 2008 16:50 pm   Paying back with your own coin?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #705 "English Slang Idioms (447)", question 2

"What do you mean you're cancelling our tennis match this weekend?" George exclaimed. Fred shot back, "Well, you cancelled on me twice last month. I'm just paying you back with your own .........."

(a) excuse
(b) token
(c) coin
(d) racket

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #705 "English Slang Idioms (447)", answer 2

"What do you mean you're cancelling our tennis match this weekend?" George exclaimed. Fred shot back, "Well, you cancelled on me twice last month. I'm just paying you back with your own coin."

Correct answer: (c) coin

why coin
Cony

Paying back with your own coin? #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 02, 2008 20:00 pm   Paying back with your own coin?

Hi,

This is an expression suggesting that you do back to someone what they did to you. This is usual some kind of revenge.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
earth vs heck | decide vs. select
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Alone or lonely?Phrase 'I relish chatting with those who...'The boss came too. vs The boss came both.Phrase: completely lost track of what he was sayingCan't we use "up and down"? What is up and away mean?What if we remove 'to' from the above sentence like '...of the school and confessWhat does 'slip up' mean?Energy efficiency vs economic efficiency?Christmas cards is it "The Smiths" or "The Smith's"Can't play ostrich?'never' vs 'not ever'Phrase: I have ever once visited the countryPhrase: You could tell by the way he refused...