Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

picture in a book or other work; explanation; clarification
offensive
acceptance
illustration
understatement
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
in that respect | as we speak -- at this moment
listening exercises
Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.? #1 (permalink) Tue May 17, 2005 12:31 pm   Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.?

Test No. incompl/elem-17 "White Water Rafting", question 7

You must be joking. Have you forgotten how terrible I felt the last time we went somewhere ......... plane?

(a) in
(b) with
(c) by

Test No. incompl/elem-17 "White Water Rafting", answer 7

You must be joking. Have you forgotten how terrible I felt the last time we went somewhere by plane?

Correct answer: (c) by

Your answer was: incorrect
You must be joking. Have you forgotten how terrible I felt the last time we went somewhere in plane?

why its BY PLANE why not in plane?
manish

By plane #2 (permalink) Tue May 17, 2005 12:51 pm   By plane

Because you can go by train, by car, by bus, by ship and of course, by plane. We use the preposition by in connection with the verb go and a vehicle.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Enjoying a boat ride
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.? #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 14, 2009 15:31 pm   Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.?

Dear Torsten,
So what about 'go in a car' ?
Greenwind

Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.? #4 (permalink) Mon Dec 14, 2009 16:42 pm   Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.?

you can`t say in a car, if I asked you where are you?then you can say I am in a car.
But with transportations I mean the methods for carrying passengers or goods from one place to another you have to use the peposition by...
It is the same idea when you use the preposition at befor time like: at 7:00
Sandy1
I'm here quite often ;-)

Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.? #5 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2011 10:50 am   Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.?

Why don't we say by "a" car or by "the" car. I agree with "by" but it is confusing me a lot that we don't use any determiners. Can anyone explain it to me. Thanks :-)
Andrzejw72

Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.? #6 (permalink) Mon May 09, 2011 13:08 pm   Why do I have to say 'by plane', 'by car' etc.?

Why don't we say by "a" car or by "the" car. I agree with "by" but it is confusing me a lot that we don't use any determiners. Can anyone explain it to me. -- You will have to be satisfied that it is an idiom: 'by + unmodified mode of transportation'.

By car/truck/train/ship/taxi/etc.
In a new car / a rented truck /etc.

And be prepared for MANY other English idioms that have no explanation beyond usage.

in that respect | as we speak -- at this moment
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
players shoot and try to score pointsSolve vs. Resolve?to back into the parking stallpower toolsfind and corecctI want to do something to be in everybody's eye?medical documentbroke, bankrupt and moreMiddle-aged peopleI am not sensible the technict words to fit the above sentence.What does 'potluck dinner' mean?What does 'in that case' mean?What has kept them vs. what has held them