ruling of a country or area; political control; authority
swift
impression
government
consignment

what does "light showers" means?

Particles in man-made smoke work as coagulation basis, so humidity in air can... | Meaning of "bump up"
what does "light showers" means? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:54 am   what does "light showers" means?

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Weather Test (1)", question 1

If the weather forecast is calling for light showers, it's going to ......... lightly.

(a) rain
(b) snow
(c) hail

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Weather Test (1)", answer 1

If the weather forecast is calling for light showers, it's going to rain lightly.

Correct answer: (a) rain

_________________________

I don't understand what "light showers" means?

Jokery
Jokery

Light showers #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:37 am   Light showers

Light showers means light rain. In other words, not heavy rain or a lot of rain. Showers, when talking about weather, refers to rainfall.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
what does rain shower mean? #3 (permalink) Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:04 am   what does rain shower mean?

What does rain show mean, is it difference from ligth shower? please describe along with the example.

Thank you very much
Pattana

what does "light showers" means? #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 05, 2009 23:46 pm   what does "light showers" means?

You should say "rain showers." A rain shower is rainfall that is short in duration.
"Showers are small local periods of rain or snow that last a short time. They are usually of light to moderate intensity and are likely to start and stop suddenly."
http://www.fi.edu/weather/events/showers.html

Light showers are similar in that they don't last long and they are "light in intensity."
In other words, if you hear a forecaster say that tomorrow you will experience "light rain showers" or "light showers," you can expect to see a little bit of rain but nothing that will last too long and you will not see a heavy rain storm occur.
_________________

what does "light showers" means? #5 (permalink) Mon Jan 05, 2009 23:53 pm   what does "light showers" means?

People don't normally refer to light snowfall as light showers in everyday life. Light showers usually refer to light rainfall. I'm from Canada and we get a lot of snow every year and I don't think I've heard any forecaster refer to light snow as light showers.
Anyway, to avoid any confusion about this, we've deleted 'option B - snow' and replaced it with another verb.
_________________

Essay writing?meaning of retractsome question about foods and newsFive sentences about using nouns and pronouns...What does "go get the kettle on" mean?what is icicles?Phrase: Snow starts to melt in the springsow vs. harvest'Let me know' vs 'Let me knowing'What does "six-digits" mean?meaning of "take the law into your own hands"What does "I've got your number" mean? Is it an idiom?reimburse vs. reimbursement