Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

well; not sick; fit; sound
healthy
comprehensive
elementary
imaginary
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Come under a lot of scrutiny?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
tax return vs tax declaration | Sovereign' vs 'autonomous'?
listening exercises
Come under a lot of scrutiny? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:40 pm   Come under a lot of scrutiny?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #151 "Traveling Down Under: How can I immigrate to Australia?", question 3

The Australian Minister for ......... has come under a lot of scrutiny lately for her department's decision to issue refugee status to boat people from Papua.

(a) Immigrant
(b) Emigrant
(c) Colonization
(d) Immigration

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #151 "Traveling Down Under: How can I immigrate to Australia?", answer 3

The Australian Minister for Immigration has come under a lot of scrutiny lately for her department's decision to issue refugee status to boat people from Papua.

Correct answer: (d) Immigration

Hello Teachers

Can you explain the meaning of the phrase "come under a lot of scrutiny", please?

Thank you

Come under a lot of scrutiny? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 12, 2008 19:42 pm   Come under a lot of scrutiny?

Scrutiny means a close inspection, investigation, examination, inquiry or close careful look at.

So to come under scrutiny means that someone has become the subject of such a detailed investigation.
Skrej
I'm here quite often ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Come under a lot of scrutiny? #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:14 pm   Come under a lot of scrutiny?

please explain: to issue refugee status to boat people = to define/signify refugee status to get on the boat people..?

many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

tax return vs tax declaration | Sovereign' vs 'autonomous'?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
He always helps out the underprivilegedout of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment'Whose' in questionsWhat does "front me" mean?What does "such a flake" mean?She is a fun, witty girlthey have been cohabitingDoes 'sponsor' mean the same as 'give help'?What does 'Priceless' mean?interest vs. interestingly"break away" vs "break out"correlative of comparison: as ... asrelation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?