act of deriving; speculation; drawing of a conclusion
chef
inference
exposure
fleet

2 year old vs 2 years old

What is the difference between Delegation or Deputation? | where should I put the time and place?
2 year old vs 2 years old #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:12 am   2 year old vs 2 years old

I know this topic has been covered on earlier forums but I have not found that the feedback has explained the reasons for the two forms.

Ben is a 4 year old.

Ben is 4 years old.

4 year old Ben.......

Please help me with the why of the grammatical form.

Grr

2 year old vs 2 years old #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:11 am   2 year old vs 2 years old

They're supposed to be written like this:

"Ben is 4 years old." ("Years" is a noun here, so it can be plural.)

"Ben is a 4-year-old." ("4-year-old" originates as a compound adjective here, and the nouns inside a compound adjective usually can't have a plural suffix.)

"4-year-old Ben..." (Ditto.)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
2 year old vs 2 years old #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:16 am   2 year old vs 2 years old

Thanks Jamie :D
Grr

Is aggressiveness a positive quality?English vocabulary, grammer and idiomsshall and other modalsI have been hearing"try to do" or "try doing"such a distance from / too far back'I wouldn't change a thing that has happened to me.'at every levelWhat is the difference between keen and eager?On earth or On the earth...You did a good effort.I spoke to you on the telephone. vs I spoke to you over the telephone.Sentence: The police fired a round of tear gas shells.