but; in spite of; despite
yet
until
however
immediately

"try to do" or "try doing"

English vocabulary, grammer and idioms | shall and other modals
"try to do" or "try doing" #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:17 am   "try to do" or "try doing"

Hi all,

I got confused when reading the following statements: "Ability to try finishing the assigned tasks by all means" during answering the questionnaires.

But i think it should be "Ability to try to finish...", Am I correct?

Appreciate any comments from you!
Sunflower.baby

Location: Viet Nam

"try to do" or "try doing" #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:57 am   "try to do" or "try doing"

'Try to' suggests 'make an effort' as in: Try to improve your knowledge by working harder. 'Try doing' recommends that you do something as an experiment or a trial as in: Try studying earlier in the morning when you are less tired.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
"try to do" or "try doing" #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:45 am   "try to do" or "try doing"

Hi Alan,

I understood your comments but I still don't know which one is correct for my sentence. Or do you mean both are correct?

The context of the sentence is when my manager asked me during the performance review meeting.

Thanks again...
sunflower.babe
Sunflower.baby

Location: Viet Nam

"try to do" or "try doing" #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:15 am   "try to do" or "try doing"

Back to your original question - I agree that after 'ability' it would be preferable to say: try to finish, as this is a constant quality rather than something suggesting an experiment or trial.

_________________

"try to do" or "try doing" #5 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:56 am   "try to do" or "try doing"

Thank you very much Alan for your explanation.
Sunflower.baby

Location: Viet Nam

Are there any students in the classroom?What does "to depict animals as the main characters" mean?Is aggressiveness a positive quality?I have been hearingwhere should I put the time and place?Why didn't he... or why did he not...?such a distance from / too far back2 year old vs 2 years old'I wouldn't change a thing that has happened to me.'I wash myself?at every levelorder or ordersI spoke to you on the telephone. vs I spoke to you over the telephone.