to rely on; to extend business credit
found
trust
reward
divide

Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

talking about past. | What does "to depict animals as the main characters" mean?
Why didn't he... or why did he not...? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:32 am   Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

which saying is right. If both are right, which is better, and what is the difference?
Liu

Location: Xi'an City,China

Why didn't he... or why did he not...? #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:49 am   Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

Hi Lio,

This isn't really a case of right or wrong. Al you can say is that the contraction (didn't) is informal and 'did not' is formal. You could use the latter if you really wanted to emphasise the negative aspect of the question or statement.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why didn't he... or why did he not...? #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 14:22 pm   Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

Thanks, Alan. But which saying is more often used. I think we use "didn't" more often in daily life, am I right?
Liu

Location: Xi'an City,China

Why didn't he... or why did he not...? #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 15:06 pm   Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

Yes, you are.

_________________

What does "there comes a certain point..." mean?d _s _ r_ p_ n _y and w_ _ r _ a _Can you start with "Where"fact or opinion in readingPlease, kindly ... application for or to the Accounts Clerkcomparatives and superlativesAre there any students in the classroom?Is aggressiveness a positive quality?English vocabulary, grammer and idiomsshall and other modalsI have been hearing"try to do" or "try doing"I wash myself?