Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to rely on; to extend business credit
found
trust
reward
divide
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
talking about past. | What does "to depict animals as the main characters" mean?
listening exercises
Why didn't he... or why did he not...? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:32 am   Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

which saying is right. If both are right, which is better, and what is the difference?
Liu
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Why didn't he... or why did he not...? #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:49 am   Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

Hi Lio,

This isn't really a case of right or wrong. Al you can say is that the contraction (didn't) is informal and 'did not' is formal. You could use the latter if you really wanted to emphasise the negative aspect of the question or statement.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why didn't he... or why did he not...? #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 14:22 pm   Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

Thanks, Alan. But which saying is more often used. I think we use "didn't" more often in daily life, am I right?
Liu
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Why didn't he... or why did he not...? #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 15:06 pm   Why didn't he... or why did he not...?

Yes, you are.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

talking about past. | What does "to depict animals as the main characters" mean?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does "there comes a certain point..." mean?d _s _ r_ p_ n _y and w_ _ r _ a _Can you start with "Where"fact or opinion in readingPlease, kindly ... application for or to the Accounts Clerkcomparatives and superlativesAre there any students in the classroom?Is aggressiveness a positive quality?English vocabulary, grammer and idiomsshall and other modalsI have been hearing"try to do" or "try doing"I wash myself?