Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

breadth; thickness
width
aircraft
driver
minute
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

shall and other modals

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
"try to do" or "try doing" | Is aggressiveness a positive quality?
listening exercises
shall and other modals #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:01 am   shall and other modals

Haven't I told you already that you ___ have my answer tomorrow morning?
(A) will (B) shall (C) should (D) would
The answer is option B. But I feel that all the four options are grammatical.
Can anyone tell me why the other options are incorrect?

shall and other modals #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:37 am   shall and other modals

Hi Sitifan,

To be honest I find 'shall' the least suitable of the choices. Let's look at the others. 'Will' suggests: 'You are going to have my answers'. 'Should' indicates: 'It is probable that you will have my answer.' 'Would' is used to show that this is a reported speech use - 'I say you will' becomes 'I said you would.' 'Shall' when it's used with the second and third person usually indicates an order. In the Christian religion the 10 commandments or orders tell believers how they must live. We see for example - 'You shall not kill'. This is not a request but an order. That's why I suggest that 'shall' is the one that doesn't really fit here but the other 3 would work.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
shall and other modals #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:40 am   shall and other modals

Alan wrote:
'Would' is used to show that this is a reported speech use - 'I say you will' becomes 'I said you would.' 'Shall' when it's

I have no problem with [I say you will] and [I said you would].
But what about the present perfect?
I have said you will?/would?...

shall and other modals #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:13 pm   shall and other modals

Hi Alan,

Good answer.

Thanks,
Suresh
Sureshvemuri
I'm here quite often ;-)

"try to do" or "try doing" | Is aggressiveness a positive quality?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
d _s _ r_ p_ n _y and w_ _ r _ a _Are there any students in the classroom?What does "to depict animals as the main characters" mean?English vocabulary, grammer and idiomsI have been hearingwhere should I put the time and place?Why didn't he... or why did he not...?2 year old vs 2 years old'I wouldn't change a thing that has happened to me.'I wash myself?at every levelorder or ordersI spoke to you on the telephone. vs I spoke to you over the telephone.