seemingly; probably
likely
above
further
nevertheless

Sentence: "We shall do it = We have to/should do it."

comparatives and superlatives | Which certificate need for my job verification?
Sentence: "We shall do it = We have to/should do it." #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:50 am   Sentence: "We shall do it = We have to/should do it."

Is this usage okay?

We shall do it = We may/may not do it (less assurance).

All of us shall do it= All of us SHOULD do it.
We will do it = We promise that we will do it definitely.
He shall do it = He should do it.
They shall complete = They should be completed (we are ordering/we are giving assurance).

Suresh
Sureshvemuri

Location: India, Hyderabad

Sentence: "We shall do it = We have to/should do it." #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:34 am   Sentence: "We shall do it = We have to/should do it."

The use of these two modals 'will' and 'shall' can sometimes be confusing. Generally 'will' has the sense of wanting or wishing or promising. 'Shall' in the first person refers not only to a future idea but also to a determination to do something. When we use 'shall' with the second and third person, we are in a way determining what they ( 2nd and 3rd person(s) ) are going to do and this is in a sense an order or a command.

To comment on your text:

We shall do it = We may/may not do it (less assurance). This suggests that nothing will stop us/we are determined
All of us shall do it= All of us SHOULD do it. This expresses the same idea as above
We will do it = We promise that we will do it definitely. I agree
He shall do it = He should do it. This is someone telling him to do it
They shall complete = They should be completed (Why passive?) (we are ordering/we are giving assurance). This is someone telling them to complete.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Sentence: "We shall do it = We have to/should do it." #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 am   Sentence: "We shall do it = We have to/should do it."

Thank you Alan, for your comprehensive reply and also for your time.

Suresh
Sureshvemuri

Location: India, Hyderabad

relative pronoun when the antecedent is an animal"put up for order" or "put up for orders"?use of in and intoBing complete. vs Bing claer. vs Bing specific.Usage of preposition 'to' in transformation of active to passivesend or sentSentence: 'If we do it right now, our friend won’t be concerned about this'Sentence: We will modify the file and will upload that.What does "there comes a certain point..." mean?d _s _ r_ p_ n _y and w_ _ r _ a _Can you start with "Where"How can we express each other intentions and meanings without understanding?fact or opinion in reading