selection; choice; assortment; accumulation
time
collection
tense
subordinate

instinct for/in and right/proper thing?

undertake = attempt or encounter? | Usage of incidents, happenings, experiences, events
instinct for/in and right/proper thing? #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:52 pm   instinct for/in and right/proper thing?

And his (1) _____________ were always in the visual arts - that was his main area of interest and obviously the (2) _____________ thing for him.
1. A. feelings B. insights C. senses D. instincts
2. A. precise B. right C. straight D. proper

What would you choose to fill in those blanks?
I would choose D for 1 and B for 2.
But I wonder whether it should be "his instincts were always for the visual arts" or "his instincts were in the visual arts".
As to blank 2, my teacher says that the answer is "proper" but I often see "the right thing" instead.
Linh Bui Hoang

instinct for/in and right/proper thing? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:07 am   instinct for/in and right/proper thing?

"Instincts in" is correct in that sentence, because he had instincts for various things in the field of visual arts. However, I don't like any of the choices given for (1).

The answer to (2) could be "right" or "proper", but since we have no context, it is impossible to tell which word would be better. My instinct is that a native speaker would put "right" in that blank.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Just Nerves: All part of the cool Turkey experience...Usage of "As a speaker"Sentense: Feedback is important to provide continuous evaluation of outcomes...He hasn't cleaned that room of his in a monthEnglish grammar puzzlewhen there is 's'Single or plural? Apple vs applesLit and Lightedrelative pronoun when the antecedent is an animal"put up for order" or "put up for orders"?use of in and intoBing complete. vs Bing claer. vs Bing specific.Usage of preposition 'to' in transformation of active to passive