chance meeting
counterbalance
encounter
workshop
response

undertake = attempt or encounter?

Lit and Lighted | instinct for/in and right/proper thing?
undertake = attempt or encounter? #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 18, 2008 16:43 pm   undertake = attempt or encounter?

What would you choose as an alternative to the underlined word in the sentence below?

First year students are required to undertake simple experiments
A. submerge B. uncover C. attempt D. encounter

My choice is D.encounter but my teacher says the answer is C.attempt. I have never seen "attempt smt" but "attempt to do smt". And yet, I think that "encounter smt" is appropriate.
Linh Bui Hoang

undertake = attempt or encounter? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:01 am   undertake = attempt or encounter?

It is possible to "attempt something", without "to do".

"Encounter" would be a completely wrong answer, because it means "to meet unexpectedly".

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Usage of "As a speaker"Sentense: Feedback is important to provide continuous evaluation of outcomes...He hasn't cleaned that room of his in a monthEnglish grammar puzzlewhen there is 's'Single or plural? Apple vs applesrelative pronoun when the antecedent is an animal"put up for order" or "put up for orders"?use of in and intoBing complete. vs Bing claer. vs Bing specific.Usage of preposition 'to' in transformation of active to passivesend or sentSentence: 'If we do it right now, our friend won’t be concerned about this'