something which legally or rightfully belongs to an individual; payment; fee
slot
capability
rivalry
due

Fall to = to come by lot or chance

Meaning of 'since then' | The couple shut themselves away
Fall to = to come by lot or chance #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 19, 2008 14:19 pm   Fall to = to come by lot or chance

ESL/EFL Test #66 "Lunch is served", question 3

The other night we went to a French restaurant and it ......... to Charles to translate everything on the menu for us.

(a) went
(b) fell
(c) dropped
(d) took

ESL/EFL Test #66 "Lunch is served", answer 3

The other night we went to a French restaurant and it fell to Charles to translate everything on the menu for us.

Correct answer: (b) fell
_________________________

Why "Fell"? Any grammar explanation? Thank you!

Beverly
Beverly

Why "Fell"? Any grammar explanation? #2 (permalink) Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:54 am   Why "Fell"? Any grammar explanation?

.
Just one meaning of 'fall'. 'Fall to' = to come by lot or chance: The chore fell to him. Perhaps it originates in some sort of primitive lottery or the dropping the oracular bones.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Fall to = to come by lot or chance #3 (permalink) Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:59 am   Fall to = to come by lot or chance

Interesting
Moylopez

Location: San Diego CA USA

Did you hearhiveld?security systemsbut you were too busyMeaning of eagerdifference between latest and newestDifference between I used to and I was used to?Which vs. whoMeaning of "executive assistant"Less expensiveTalk to vs. talk aboutNot necessaryLittle more detail