to understand; to comprehend; to accomplish; to convert into cash; to liquidate
compel
declare
relate
realize

What does "unknown quantity" means?

Opportunity vs. occasion. | Meaning of 'deal'
What does "unknown quantity" means? #1 (permalink) Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:51 am   What does "unknown quantity" means?

He always became nervous when reporting to a new boss. It was hard to start over again with an unknown ......... especially one he didn't know how to please. He couldn't even rely on the past to derive the boss' expectations.

(a) entirety
(b) quantity
(c) persona
(d) ability

He always became nervous when reporting to a new boss. It was hard to start over again with an unknown quantity especially one he didn't know how to please. He couldn't even rely on the past to derive the boss' expectations.

Correct answer: (b) quantity

He always became nervous when reporting to a new boss. It was hard to start over again with an unknown persona especially one he didn't know how to please. He couldn't even rely on the past to derive the boss' expectations.
_________________________

Please, explain what " unknown quantity" means? does it refer to a new boss and why??

Frida
Frida_st

what does "hail" mean?meaning of "meat market"diference between "speak" and "talk"Idiom: Rubber CheckTrouble with my mother?That's that vs. that's it?meaning of "surviving an array"Expression: screaming point'meet with someone's approval' mean someone agrees with something?today vs tomorrowMeaning of "stuck out a mile"What does 'put off' mean?aggression vs persuasion