agreement; business transaction; exchange; amount
semester
consultant
labor
deal

Off of the fat of the land?

Does to be fat cat mean to be one of important persons? | Test incompl/inter-347, User's Answer 6
Off of the fat of the land? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:04 am   Off of the fat of the land?

He only had three more years until retirement and then he would be living off of the ......... of the land. He saved up a lot of money over the years for retirement and is set for life.

(a) grain
(b) price
(c) contour
(d) fat

He only had three more years until retirement and then he would be living off of the fat of the land. He saved up a lot of money over the years for retirement and is set for life.

Correct answer: (d) fat

_________________________

I wonder if the first "of" should be redundant in the clause " he would be living off of the fat of the land" ?
Zishuli

Location: Malaysia

Off of the fat of the land? #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:41 am   Off of the fat of the land?

.
It is not necessary, but it is common usage.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Off of the fat of the land? #3 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 13:19 pm   Off of the fat of the land?

Does to live off of the fat of the land mean to live off savings?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

Off of the fat of the land? #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 13:27 pm   Off of the fat of the land?

No. It means to live off what is available instead of working for money.
_________________

What does 'hold water' mean?Test incompl/inter-282, Question 5What does this idiom mean: luck of the drawWhat does 'to be the third wheel' mean?idiom: to fiddle while Rome burnsTest incompl/inter-348, User's Answer 5Test incompl/inter-348, User's Answer 4Idiom: 'to feel the pinch'What does to be fed up mean?Test incompl/inter-347, User's Answer 4Does fat chance mean that the odds are poor that it will happenDoes to come on fast and furious mean that one was fast and furious?Does famoous last words mean that the best words ensue after the match has finish