Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

full; packed; crammed together
crowded
prize
impressive
overt
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Garbage in garbage out kind of thing?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I take my turn at advising our clients | meaning of preferment
listening exercises
Garbage in garbage out kind of thing? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:39 am   Garbage in garbage out kind of thing?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #355 "English Slang Idioms (76)", question 3

"I am sorry your speakers aren't working. I know the company that makes them uses really cheap, substandard parts to fabricate something that looks like a speaker. It is kind of a garbage in, ......... out kind of thing," Jed told Sarah.

(a) genuine
(b) good
(c) garbage
(d) quality

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #355 "English Slang Idioms (76)", answer 3

"I am sorry your speakers aren't working. I know the company that makes them uses really cheap, substandard parts to fabricate something that looks like a speaker. It is kind of a garbage in, garbage out kind of thing," Jed told Sarah.

Correct answer: (c) garbage

Your answer was: correct

Hi,

There are two " kind of" in the clause " It is kind of a garbage in, garbage out kind of thing". I wonder is it an acceptable structure ?
Zishuli
You can meet me at english-test.net

Garbage in garbage out kind of thing? #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:42 am   Garbage in garbage out kind of thing?

Only in casual conversation, which is what this text represents.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I take my turn at advising our clients | meaning of preferment
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
"68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old"I haven't seen 'a ripper of a time' before, doesn't it mean 'a wonderful time'?"yet" and "however"After Summer come the...?What does Chinooks mean?What's the difference between account and count?Meaning of the idiom "fall off a turnip truck"What's the grammar rule for using anyone and no one?What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean?The meaning of "light rain"turn vs runPhrase: The coldest season of the year is typically the winter season.What does 'dead from the neck up' mean?