Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

preliminary; beginning
informal
subordinate
introductory
rational
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between deflated and depressed

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
now they vs. they now | What does the expression "find the way out" mean?
listening exercises
Difference between deflated and depressed #1 (permalink) Fri May 20, 2005 16:18 pm   Difference between deflated and depressed

Test No. express/advan-17 "Down to Earth", question 8

You can use special symbols in your emails if you want to show you're down in the mouth.

(a) decided
(b) definite
(c) deflated
(d) depressed

Test No. express/advan-17 "Down to Earth", answer 8

You can use special symbols in your emails if you want to show you're depressed.

Correct answer: (d) depressed

Your answer was: incorrect
You can use special symbols in your emails if you want to show you're deflated.

Hi,
I thought that deflated means to be brought low in spirit. Is deflated stronger than depressed ? Maybe we are just not allowed use 'deflated' in such sentence?
K.

Difference between deflated and depressed #2 (permalink) Fri May 20, 2005 18:14 pm   Difference between deflated and depressed

Usually this word is used in the literal and technical sense of having lost air but when it is used in a figurative sense it means more down in spirit whereas depressed is needed here to show the physical sign of being unhappy/depressed which can be shown in the symbol.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between deflated and depressed #3 (permalink) Tue May 15, 2012 18:20 pm   Difference between deflated and depressed

Hello,

What is the difference between "being deflated" & "being frustrated"?
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between deflated and depressed #4 (permalink) Tue May 15, 2012 21:09 pm   Difference between deflated and depressed

being deflated - feeling down, feeling low, feeling dispirited, etc.

being frustrated - feeling angry, annoyed, impotent, disenchanted, etc.
Language Coach

Difference between deflated and depressed #5 (permalink) Sun May 20, 2012 14:26 pm   Difference between deflated and depressed

Thank you,..
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between deflated and depressed #6 (permalink) Mon May 21, 2012 7:53 am   Difference between deflated and depressed

Hi Puppet,

Some examples in use:

You feel deflated if someone has made comments about you suggesting that you are not so important as you thought you were.

You feel frustrated if you are not able to achieve what you wanted even though you have tried several times.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

now they vs. they now | What does the expression "find the way out" mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
curb appealon walk-ins and reach-ins???proof reading on Weather. Pls check. Thanksmeaning of The final fraction is ‘fines’ – nameless dust.My favorite and least favorite school subjectTest incompl/advan-875, User's Answer 8Jekyll and Hydelike to watch vs. like watchingWhat is a recliner?why we don't use to quit?looking up informationDifference between possibly and probablyPlease explain this phrase: "What makes you say that, madam?"