Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to exercise; to use; to make an effort
rank
enroll
indicate
exert
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
After Summer come the...? | "yet" and "however"
listening exercises
"68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old" #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:14 am   "68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #370 "English Slang Idioms (91)", question 6

"Of course I can help you move. I may be 68-years-old but I am as healthy as a .........," Chris's grandpa told him.

(a) horse
(b) pig
(c) crow
(d) cow

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #370 "English Slang Idioms (91)", answer 6

"Of course I can help you move. I may be 68-years-old but I am as healthy as a horse," Chris's grandpa told him.

Correct answer: (a) horse

Your answer was: correct

Hi,

In this case, shouldn't we have to write" 68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old" ?
Zishuli
You can meet me at english-test.net

"68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old" #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:31 am   "68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old"

Hello Zishuli,

As the sentence is written, the only thing that needs to be done is to remove the hyphens:

"I may be 68 years old but I am as healthy as a horse."

You are right about having to use "year" in the hyphenated form. However, to use the hyphenated form correctly, you would also have to add a word (or two):

"I may be a 68-year-old (man) but I am as healthy as a horse."

The article "a" would be absolutely necessary with the hyphenated form above, and the word "man" would be optional.
Esl_Expert
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Thanks for lighting up #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:54 am   Thanks for lighting up

Esl_Expert wrote:
Hello Zishuli,

As the sentence is written, the only thing that needs to be done is to remove the hyphens:

"I may be 68 years old but I am as healthy as a horse."

You are right about having to use "year" in the hyphenated form. However, to use the hyphenated form correctly, you would also have to add a word (or two):

"I may be a 68-year-old (man) but I am as healthy as a horse."

The article "a" would be absolutely necessary with the hyphenated form above, and the word "man" would be optional.

That's it ! Thanks for lighting up my brain.
Zishuli
You can meet me at english-test.net

After Summer come the...? | "yet" and "however"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of "take the law into your own hands"What does "I've got your number" mean? Is it an idiom?reimburse vs. reimbursementWhat does placate mean?I haven't seen 'a ripper of a time' before, doesn't it mean 'a wonderful time'?What does Chinooks mean?What's the difference between account and count?meaning of prefermentGarbage in garbage out kind of thing?Meaning of the idiom "fall off a turnip truck"What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean?The meaning of "light rain"Rectifying the error?