to exercise; to use; to make an effort
rank
enroll
indicate
exert

"68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old"

After Summer come the...? | "yet" and "however"
"68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old" #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:14 am   "68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old"

"Of course I can help you move. I may be 68-years-old but I am as healthy as a .........," Chris's grandpa told him.

(a) horse
(b) pig
(c) crow
(d) cow

"Of course I can help you move. I may be 68-years-old but I am as healthy as a horse," Chris's grandpa told him.

Correct answer: (a) horse

_________________________

In this case, shouldn't we have to write" 68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old" ?
Zishuli

Location: Malaysia

"68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old" #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:31 am   "68-year-old" instead of "68-years-old"

Hello Zishuli,

As the sentence is written, the only thing that needs to be done is to remove the hyphens:

"I may be 68 years old but I am as healthy as a horse."

You are right about having to use "year" in the hyphenated form. However, to use the hyphenated form correctly, you would also have to add a word (or two):

"I may be a 68-year-old (man) but I am as healthy as a horse."

The article "a" would be absolutely necessary with the hyphenated form above, and the word "man" would be optional.
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Thanks for lighting up #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:54 am   Thanks for lighting up

Esl_Expert wrote:
Hello Zishuli,

That's it ! Thanks for lighting up my brain.
Zishuli

Location: Malaysia

meaning of "take the law into your own hands"What does "I've got your number" mean? Is it an idiom?reimburse vs. reimbursementWhat does placate mean?I haven't seen 'a ripper of a time' before, doesn't it mean 'a wonderful time'?What does Chinooks mean?What's the difference between account and count?meaning of prefermentGarbage in garbage out kind of thing?Meaning of the idiom "fall off a turnip truck"What does the phrase 'I'm at the end of my tether at work' mean?The meaning of "light rain"Rectifying the error?